Rear axle... do i want it???

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Some help from you knowledgeable guys would be great. Locally there is a rear axle for sale that has the gear ratio I would like. I was looking for a sterling, but ran across this Dana 80 that the owner says came from an F-350('88) and has factory disk brakes.

A couple of questions:
1. Was there ever such a beast?
2. Will it fit my dually?

It seems to me that it may be out of a cab and chassis (C&C)- so i measured my C&C truck ('85). The spring perches are wider than my dually, but the overall width is about the same.

I know that the only way to know for sure is to go look at it- tried getting the owner to take some measurements but it proved too difficult for him.

Getting the gears and disks in one shot seems like a good deal, but I also have to wonder if these had parking brakes??

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks Goose- looks like we replied at the same time, but you beat me to the submit button!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's likely a Dana 80 from a Cab/chassis so unless you make new perches it won't be a bolt in. It also likely to not have park brake as if it's a Fsuperduty 450 it would have been on the back of the transmission.

JM2CW

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like it was out of something other than a ford. And even if it was in a ford, The dana 80s ONLY came in Fsuperdutys(10 lug) and 99-current Superduty F350 duallys. So no matter what you will have to do some modifying to work in your truck

F350 cab n chassis and F-superdutys have the same spring perch widths of approx 40 inches and a wheel mounting surface width of 66.5"

A SRW pick up has spring perch width of 45". And a wheel mounting surface width of 64"

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks Brad.

I'm going to have to drive out there and measure it up. I've bought stuff from this same guy before. He's young and may not <scratch that> does not know quite as much as he thinks. Hard to get a good answer out of him.

My first text to him I asked him if it was 8 lug or 10 lug. This was his exact reply:
"I'm pretty sure its an 8"

LOL

Truly confidence inspiring. :rolleyes:

DragRag

Reaction score
People think they have all types of rear eds in these truck. it could be a sterling, D60, D70, D70HD, or a D80. You will see when you get there....