Re-Torquing Head Bolts

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed that 180-200* “coolant” would be COUNTERproductive until boost was 15psi or higher.
HOWEVER...
As someone previously described, sending coolant from the pump to an auxiliary cooler/radiator THEN to the Charge Air Cooler seems a viable plan. This auxiliary circuit wouldn’t need nearly the heat capacity of the main radiator. So a relatively small auxiliary radiator should be able to achieve 20* above ambient??
Some sources (like Garrett turbo) say an air/water CAC should be over 90% efficient; some say nearly 100%. That would put final charge air temps at 20-40* above ambient. Well, at least for the <20 psi boost levels 99% of turbo IDI’s will be running.

This setup is working GREAT in my imagination :D
Someone straighten me out with a healthy dose of reality before time and $$$ get committed :idiot:

Last edited:

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works great in my head too. We'll see how reality is when I scrape the money and ambition together. If the flow from the water pump isn't there, then it isn't there. Air temp gauges will tell the story on efficiency and how well(if) it works. My plan is to use the same sized heat exchanger you'd use if the systems are separate. That way if it doesn't work, I can build a separate system with it's own pump, and not be buying more stuff.

Air to water intercoolers are super efficient, and they have near 0 pressure drop, unlike air to air units.

Those saying 180* coolant is pointless, yes and no. If you're boosting very little, then you'd be correct. But when you're boosting 20+ and your turbo outlet is 400+ degrees, 180 air is a huge improvement. 2 cycle detroits run pretty hot intake temps as well, because the roots blower on them are pretty good at making heat. As said, if you're air to air unit is dropping to near ambient, then you're doing really well. However, most aren't that efficient from what I've seen.

The cummins generator outside sources it's coolant from the thermostat boss, and routes it back into the oil cooler near the water pump. So cold coolant definitely wouldn't be present. This thing doesn't have a cooling tower, just a big 6 core radiator. It also has a thermostat, so coolant temp is definitely warmer then ambient. If it didn't provide a benefit, I doubt cummins, detroit diesel, or any other manufacturer that used a water to air intercooler would have went through the trouble of installing them.

alsjunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am not intending on pulling either head. In fact I bought the kit for removing swelled glow plugs as mine need to be replaced. I won't go into why they may be swelled.
But I don't want to pull a head if it can be avoided. If heads come off I'll spring for studs. Just because I'm wired that way. Insurance. So I will crack each head bolt a half turn and then re-torque to
10 pounds over spec. And go from there.
Why do you go 10 lbs over spec?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86