Rancid WVO

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Can some discribe to me what rancid WVO smells like? the last couple of batches of WVO I tried to filter had a really bad smell. While pumping or heating the fumes about made me choke. It even burns the eyes. Has my oil gone rancid? IS it still useable? (50/50 mix)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
It the oil smells like paint then it's oxidized and should not be used.
Rancid oil will make you gag ( :puke: ). It's old, has seen too much sunlight and heat and has water in it. It's the bacteria in the water portion that speeds up rancidity. Toss it ...-or-...toss it :)puke:) Your choice.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. It was stored in unsealed 55 gal. drums in a damp basement. Anyone need any WVO? (can't blame a guy for triying)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
After seeing them clean out the grease traps in our culinary labs, I don't think you would miss it!!! It was horrible, I can gut a deer and never think twice, but one wiff of that about sent me to the men's room to hurle!!! :puke:

I was always told that the smell I experienced though wasn't so much the rancid grease, but was the food that was trapped in there with the grease.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
This stuff had a really bad acid smell to it. It would just burn the eyes. It's going on the burn pile. I think I left it open to the air too long with the heater not running. I got a little lazy in my production.