Ram air woes

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well stpid is as stupid does. cookoo
Started progress with Tim's ram air sewer tubing tonight and found out that it was not a good night as the damage gremlins were in full force.
Got the grill off and taking my measurements for cutting access into the core/radiator support and went to hacking.
Made a few good cuts and BAM saw jumped up and broke the headlight mounting assembly for the grill retainer.-cuss
Couldn't remove it as one stupid nut would not come off but rather stripped out the stud that is seated in the headlight mounting assembly.
Well I fugured screw it just get back to cutting and worry about that later. Well on the last cut the saw blade caught something on the back side of the cut still not sure on what, but out it jumped and landed right on the radiator. :number2
Yep dang thing sprung a leak. -cuss -cuss -cuss See first statement.
Figured that was gonna happen after the headlight incident but continued on. Got all the rough cuts finished and placed all the plumbing for a dry fit. Looked purty darn good. No polished tubing yet. Fired the gold one up and wow, that sucker can really move some air now. ;Really
I figure that I have enough room behind the grill to plumb in a 4" gas water heater exhaust catch cone to funnel the air into the now smooth bore sewer line. ;Sweet
Shut her back down and started the gruelling task of draining a good batch of coolant and eyed up the scew-ups for the night and marveled as to how good that setup looks in there. Just can't wait for the road test. :D
Was too pissed and too dark to take some pics as the little butts had just arrived as the transport unit had gone down for the count.

Well just ranting abit and give y'all some fresh fodder for the day. :rolleyes:
More to come as the saga continues.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
and i thought i had a bad day... sorry to hear of your misfortunes. i'll have a bourbon & an ice cream cone for ya :cool

get her patched up quickly so you can get to shining up that intake!

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
That sounds like about how all my projects go, cept I usually bleed for the cause also. :D

Looking forward to the pics, nice funny read. ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:
cept I usually bleed for the cause also. :D
Isn't that SOP for all shade-trees? ;) I count on the truck drawing blood on me at least once every project (of course, when I did the head gaskets etc last summer, blood was drawn once per day over the course of 2 1/2 months)...

Ron, you're taking pictures of your setup...riiiiiiight? :backoff LOL

Seriously, I know how you feel...my project last summer was full of little "surprises" like that. I don't know if you were on TDS when I dropped a water pump on the radiator while putting the truck back together -cuss -cuss -cuss I was mad enough that I threw a ratchet across the street and spooked the (pompous yuppie) neighbors ;) Of course, before putting a hole in the radiator, putting the water pump back on was one of the last things I had left before firing the truck off...

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Ron, that really blows for the damage report and if I remember correctly that WAS a new radiator, but you will get er and then be a happy man once again. just glad I didn't read any mention of blood loss or numerous stitches .
Tim

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
F350camper said:
That sounds like about how all my projects go, cept I usually bleed for the cause also. :D
;Sweet

Yeah didn't add the 2 skinned up knuckles, but usually SOP for me so was no biggie. cookoo

and if I remember correctly that WAS a new radiator, but you will get er and then be a happy man once again
Yep was a new purchase for the PO...Still has the stocking tag on it. :mad:
Oh well, got a spare from Travis on our recent visit and have a good friend at the local truck shop where we take our firetrucks for maintenance. He has a radiator repair shop in the back, so will be paying him a visit today.

Ron, you're taking pictures of your setup...riiiiiiight?

Yes I will be, but was dark 30 when I got to the cool down stage and the lighting out at the shop is not too good. Yard light and a 2 light halogen work stand that the wind kept trying to blow away. :backoff

pafixitman

Reaction score
Dang Ron!

I'll just keep my little current draw issue and stay quiet!

Yanking the intake off to get to the second batt. had me thinking "ram air" last night. I hate working in the dark!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, perhaps next time you should try Self Flagellation. Much less expensive. Get a flogger here. LOL
:rotflmao
Mel, not sure if'n some one told ya, but Moose ***** has no medicinal purposes. :rotflmao

Anyway, got a few photos taken this evening as not much else could be done as the little butts(Mr. Mom) duties were pretty demanding tonight but here's tonights take. Induction photos

Radiator cost me $10.00 to fix so I had to skip lunch. :D

All that is left at this point is to cut the tube down to size so to get optimal reach to the outside air and begin the grueling process of polishing up the tubing. then reassemble and figure some way to secure the tubing from wiggling its' way into the PS pump pulley. Then give her a fresh swig of oil and a filter and ROAD TRIP!

Tim how the heck did you get that tubing that polished??????? cookoo

Attachments

• weird.gif
    weird.gif
    934 bytes · Views: 95

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well, the cold air induction on Goldie is now fully functional and WOW :eek: what a difference. There is some noticeable power gain but most of all tonight while Drivin' it like I stole it... :rolleyes: I noticed a 100 degree reduction in EGT's. ;Sweet
Standing on it with about 800 lbs of flagstone in the back goin up a slight grade took longer to hit 1100 degrees F but wouldn't go over. Granted that's not a big load but from what it was before is a big difference. :D
Oh and she even sounds a little tuffer now too. :thumbsup:

Tim you da man ;Sweet
Now just to get the tubing polished up to look purdy. :D

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Ron, Glad to hear it worked out for you and with increased power too:) As for the polishing, sand it down with some 60 then 180 then 320 grit paper then let me know and I will send you the polishing wheel and compound after sanding. It should only take about 45 minutes of polishing to get the mirror finish you seek or just skuff it up and say it with krylon. I also found some more clamps pm me your address and I will mail them to you.
Tim

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, and I thought I was having a bad day.

Looking forward to some pictures of your cold air induction.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Is there any problems with a tube like that and sucking up water or lots of rain? I was thinking of doing something like that, but I live on the west coast, and it RAINS here.... between what is falling, and the puddles on the ground.... That is my biggest worry.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
Is there any problems with a tube like that and sucking up water or lots of rain? I was thinking of doing something like that, but I live on the west coast, and it RAINS here.... between what is falling, and the puddles on the ground.... That is my biggest worry.

That was a concern for me also, like to spray the innocent walker with a good puddle blast. :rolleyes: ....Welllll used to. :rolleyes:
The total rise in the tubing from the core support to the air cleaner assembly is right arounds 8". Should be enough to keep rain out but the location of the tube behind the grill should break up enough water to lessen the worries..... Not sure but is new territory for me.

IDIeselman said:
Ron, Glad to hear it worked out for you and with increased power too As for the polishing, sand it down with some 60 then 180 then 320 grit paper then let me know and I will send you the polishing wheel and compound after sanding. It should only take about 45 minutes of polishing to get the mirror finish you seek or just skuff it up and say it with krylon. I also found some more clamps pm me your address and I will mail them to you.
;Sweet Thought there was some sanding there. GOt plenty to do that.
Pm headed yer way. THe stock hose clamps to me just cant get em tight enought to keep the assembly from popping loose and going into the PS pump pulley. Currently just zip tied to the hose line bracket to the AC compressor but will be making a bracket to permanently secure the tubing. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online