Radiator Stop Leak and Cavitation?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
ok boys just had a concern.....im putting my brand new radiator in today, and i saved my old coolant, want to reuse it, but it struck me that the radiator stop leak (in high concentration) that i used in an attempt to save my old radiator might negate the SCA's and actually encourage cavitation..... am i completly off base?

(shameless plug: radiatorbarn.com, NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THEM!!! ordered friday, delivered monday :thumbsup: )

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that Stop Leak shouldn't be put into any cooling system except in case of emergency (which your situation qualifies for :) ). It's too likely to plug up coolant passages, the thermostat, etc. So, I would strongly suggest flushing the system out as thoroughly as possible, before putting in the new radiator. Then, once as much of it's out as possible, put new coolant in and get your SCA's back up to spec. I honestly don't know if Stop-Leak has any effect on SCA levels, but IMHO getting the Stop-Leak out of your system is critically important.

Just my $0.02 :)

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
yeah thats what i was thinking....oy...ok.......flush it is.......... ok this is such a stupid question......but which way is the coolant flowin in thes rads........top to bottom or bottom to top?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Every cooling type heat exchanger I have ever seen pull cool fluids from the bottom. This diagram is the same as from Ford Tech Serv Pub.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant comes out of the thermostat, and into the TOP of the radiator.

Remember, heat rises. By forcing the hot coolant DOWN, it stays in the radiator longer. If you dumped hot water in the bottom, it would rush to the top and never get cooled. You would have a vortex like action of cold water in the radiator sitting at the bottom.

Water pumps suck, thermostats blow.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Another way is run another engine for some time and when off touch the upper and lower hose you'll see wich is hotter and cooler then you when where it comes out of.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys just to confuse the top to bottom flow what about a cross flow radiator. The water pump dose pull from the bottom BUT the water flows in at the top on one side of a tank on the side and then out on the other side at the bottom from the tank on the other side so the top to bottom thing just dose not hold up to well. The coolant goes across in flow instead of top to bottom. HE HE HE

I had a LTL9000 Ford semi with a 3406 425HP Cat and the radiator was a cross flow and I never had a cooling problem and I hid heavy haul with it

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So while your putting this new radiator in, have you plumbed yourself up a coolant filter? I wouldn't re-use the old coolant myself.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
OK guys just to confuse the top to bottom flow what about a cross flow radiator. The water pump dose pull from the bottom BUT the water flows in at the top on one side of a tank on the side and then out on the other side at the bottom from the tank on the other side so the top to bottom thing just dose not hold up to well. The coolant goes across in flow instead of top to bottom. HE HE HE

I had a LTL9000 Ford semi with a 3406 425HP Cat and the radiator was a cross flow and I never had a cooling problem and I hid heavy haul with it

Jim

Still the same principal. Hot comes in at top, cool goes out at bottom. As it cools, the coolant goes to the bottom, even though it is being force flowed across the radiator.