Quick Wiper Question

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I just installed my second wiper motor. I put a new wiper switch in a few months ago. They worked on low only for a little while,(and interval, just no High).
This morning, they didn't work at all. I Left the switch on, and they did one swipe when I popped the parking brake, and that was it. They did another swipe as I reset the parking brake, then nothing. I'm assuming a bad wire or ground or something.
My question is this.
How are they wired? Is there a constant hot to the motor, and a switched ground, or is the power switched?
Any Ideas? I'm going to start playing with a test light when I get home.
Thanks in advance!

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wipers were acting up like the motor or gournd was bad, but then my truck caught fire last weekend. The fire was the carpet around the dimmer switch which had shorted out and burned. After the dimmer switch fix my wipers work properly again. I think my problems were with the dimmer switch somehow messing with my ground. You might have a similar problem somewhere in your truck. An example of this type of problem can be found in trailer lights when the ground is removed the lights still work but act very wierd.

akoldnav

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
The hot side is switched. The ground is 2 black wires that connect at the motor plug and end up by the left headlight eventually, the washer pump gets tied in along the way too. Pretty sure there was a quick connect by the battery I ended up eliminating.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, I couldn't mess with it, cause it's raining, but on the way home I kicked the driver's side "kick" panel, right in front of the hood release, and they started working, so I guess I get to tear into that kick panel this weekend.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
:oops: I see it now. Ground G502: Behind LH Side Of I/P Was looking at the non interval system. The other ground I mentioned is there on both systems.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
it's the connex that are attched to the E brake bracket. pull them off and disconnect them for inspection. mine are funky too

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've often heard that people who improperly release their parking brake (and I wasn't sure on what model year) often end up with intermitent wiper problems. Appearantly the practice of "letting it fly" eventually cracks the circuit board in the module.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I did both the wiper motor and switch change and still had problems. My problem ended up being a broken solder joint in the "black box". A couple of drops of additional solder and no problems in 5 years. I wish I knew this before spending money gussing on parts.