Quick question about driveshafts?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry this has been likely answered before but helping a friend out and we swapped out his rear axle out and installed a older rear axle. Well his truck is a 1993 and the axle is out a 1991. The yokes take different u-joints. Wanting to use his driveshaft but his u-joint caps are larger than the yoke on the old axle. Is there a part number that has two different cap sizes for this dilema? Maybe at like autozone or napa? Thanks for any info on this. I'm assuming this is the years close to being different yoke lenghts changed

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Combination Joint

I just replaced a u-joint today in my 92 F350. I had to get a combination (*******) joint from NAPA, #P458.

If you have a micrometer measure the diameter of the cups and the length of the cross with the cups in place. Your NAPA jobber should be able to look these up in the book and find the proper combination joint.

You could also buy one each of the joints and have an automatic spare.

In my case the cups were 1.125" & 1.063" and I do not recall the cross length.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I just wanted to know before I went in town tomorrow that they actually made them like that.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason I know is because I had to make two trips today...

The one listed in the computer was wrong, but its basically a parts built truck anyhow.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed the rear end out of my truck, the original auto drive shaft used smaller U-joints than the manual rear end came equipped with. On manually equipped trucks, the U-joints and drive shafts are beefier.
The guy down at O'reilly's had a really handy conversion chart in the back of one of his catalogs that could combine 2 different U-joints and give a part # for the cross-breed. Came in real handy.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot. I'm getting ready to head to town and piece this together. I'm just just glad its not a special order item. Thanks again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a ******* U-joint. The Spicer 3550 and 3540 (IIRC) are common items. A lot of Fords used them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online