Questions on used chips and controllers

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have a 2001 f250 with 325,000 miles on it. I know the hpop is recently replaced and the trans has been rebuilt at some point with what seems to be a very nice program for firm shifts and tc lockup through 2nd 3rd and 4th. 3:73 gears, stock tires, and 4wd ext cab short bed. The engine starts ok down to about 10deg F and runs smooth throughout the rpm range. Its real sluggish for the first half of the pedal and pulls ok at upper rpm's when the pedal is mashed. I'm getting 13-16mpg's thus far. It seems to be a solid foundation from what I can tell.

This is a work truck that gets used 7 days a week, hauls a utility cap with about 1200lbs of tools and tows frequently, anywhere from 2500-10,000lbs.

I'm looking for simple things to do to help this truck get some more power. Will deleting the muffler on a stock exhaust help? Drilling extra holes in the stock air box?

My biggest question is that I'm looking at a used TS single stage 75hp chip on CL and a Superchips micro programmer with 3 settings on eBay. Are these safe to purchase used and install on your truck? I don't know anything about these electrical add ons and don't want to risk harming my truck's computer. Give me some insight, guys.........

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well a straight pipe exhaust always helps.
Also a 3" downpipe.

Look up "tymar intake" or "6637 intake" or "diy tymar"
No need to drill holes.
Personally, if it's dusty around you or you drive gravel roads a lot, I would look into the ford a is. But the 6637/tymar are pretty good.

On the chips, the truck it was tuned for needs to match your PCM strategy code. (Fairly certain of this)
The ts are good.

Stay away from anything with canned tunes. Such as banks, bullydog, hypertech, etc.
Some you can put custom tunes on.

But really any of the good aftermarket places can set you up.
Gearhead, power hungry, swamps, Beans, tony wild man, etc.
Personally, I'm gonna get the php (power hungry performance) hydra.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that hi milage, I wouldn't mess with a chip, there expensive. With used ones, ya never know what your getting, and has to be reprogrammed. I just put in a plug and play in mine, gives me 40-60-80 HP, in 80 I can blow black smoke. It's like doing the 10K resister mod, makes it feed higher HPOP pressure to injectors. See Sig. SP diesel performance. Check ebay for them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online