Questions about swapping in a 518 on my D200

Reaction score
Being since my 727 fell apart recently I am jump starting the swap I have been planning. The problem, this is new territory for me. This is my first Dodge and my first Dodge mod. Someone brought a company to my attention that sells everything I need for this conversion and who sells a rebuild kit to fix the problems the 518 has. Can someone please tell me what kind of problems the 518 has? What should I be aware of before buying one and what should I look for when I do find one? Also, is there a better choice than a 518? This is going in a two wheel drive, 318 powered, ¾ ton truck that gets used. I do take very good care of it and because it belonged to my granddaddy I plan a full frame off restoration in a few years. But this truck does pull trailers, hauls hay, and other various uses you would expect from a truck. Also, what kind of odds and ends should I search for in junk yards? I know there has got to be a bunch of details that will have to be addressed in order for this thing to work and be reliable.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest concern is keeping the cooler working so the lube oil does not stop flowing to the od unit. It will burn up quickly if the cooler plugs. When I do them I go up one size on the steel lines and install a BIG aftermarket cooler, the ones in the late radiators, are junk.