Question on ZF-5 Trans fluid.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought home my V10 a couple weeks ago, and figured it'd be a good idea to change all the fluids. Looked in the owner's manual, and it said to use Synthetic Motorcraft ATF, and then it says this as a sidenote;

"CAUTION: Using a transmission fluid that indicates a dual usage MERCON and MERCON V in a transmission application requiring MERCON, may cause internal transmission damage. The use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage. Some fluid labels may indicate dual usage such as MERCON and MERCON V. These dual-usage fluids are not to be used in transmissions that use only the MERCON type fluid. These dual-usage fluids may be used in transmissions that require MERCON V use."

I went to the local parts store, and all they had was the MERCON used in older stuff (conventional type) and MERCON V. My question is can I use the older type stuff and be ok, or should I use the MERCON V Synthetic?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I would use synthetic. You can PM me if you want information on Amsoil synthetic.