Pyrometer probe location 94 IDI factory turbo?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the exhaust manifold drivers side close to #8 cylinder. You can search, must be a couple of hundred threads on it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
For a turbo'd engine, would you want exhaust temp between the head and turbo, or from the exhuast side of the turbo?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No matter N/A or Turbo.... you want the thermocouple as close to the piston as you can get it.... the temp inside the heads is what you are concerned about. So the recommendation of in the manifold is as close as you can get.

If you have a probe post-turbo you can loose a few hundred degrees due to the exhaust spinning the turbo.

If I remember correctly, one of the Banks kits had the probe in the downpipe after the turbo. I think the manual said to not exceed 900 F to avoid damage. In the manifold, it is recommended to not exceed 1200 F. The heat in the exhaust gasses is what turns the turbo.....

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Snicklas, I always wondered why the pyrometer on my truck (banks stuff on it) was after the turbo. And now I know that 900 is too much! Barely gotten it to 600ish so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Snicklas, I always wondered why the pyrometer on my truck (banks stuff on it) was after the turbo. And now I know that 900 is too much! Barely gotten it to 600ish so far.

What Banks turbo is this??? Mine is located in the cast iron header that the turbo sits on. It sees both sides of the engine just BEFORE it gose into the turbo. It MAY appear to be on the exhaust side of the turbo but it definitely is not. The exhaust side is a steel exhaust down pipe where the hot side coming from both sides of the engine are always cast iron. You might look again because as you mentioned. Before or after means a lot.