Pyro probe question

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm running banks up pipes. That means there is a spot for a pyro probe in the up pipe. Should I just use it or go ahead and drill and tap the manifold?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will get more accurate temps the closer to the heat source. I used the exhaust manifold for mine ( 6.0 ). Your choice really.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive also seen some probes in the down pipe.

im with Dave, put it in the manifold inbetween 6 & 8

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not sure what you are calling an up pipe on a non turbo engine but.. Might try the port already there or do as others suggest. Might try both locations and report back any temp differences so everyone will know a simple truth about the probe locations on a non turbo engine.
As for finding a pyro probe in the "down pipe" which btw is AFTER any turbo is a complete waste of information from the exhaust. It just tells you nothing important because on a turbo engine its after the turbo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not sure what you are calling an up pipe on a non turbo engine but.. Might try the port already there or do as others suggest. Might try both locations and report back any temp differences so everyone will know a simple truth about the probe locations on a non turbo engine.
As for finding a pyro probe in the "down pipe" which btw is AFTER any turbo is a complete waste of information from the exhaust. It just tells you nothing important because on a turbo engine its after the turbo.

he has an aftermarket custom turbo set up.
and i completely agree about the pyro in the DP being useless, however, it was placed there on a few systems...
i think my old DP on the stock 093 had it there, but i re-built my DP

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
he has an aftermarket custom turbo set up.
and i completely agree about the pyro in the DP being useless, however, it was placed there on a few systems...
i think my old DP on the stock 093 had it there, but i re-built my DP

Only reason I mentioned up pipes and being a non turbo engine was I did not see a turbo mentioned in post nor at the bottom of original posters engine. Might be time to update the sig...:angel::sly

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only reason I mentioned up pipes and being a non turbo engine was I did not see a turbo mentioned in post nor at the bottom of original posters engine. Might be time to update the sig...:angel::sly

he has until he starts driving it to update...lol

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
It's pretty close to the ports. One side is direct into the casting, the drivers side goes through a crossover pipe. Wrap the crossover pipe and I think it'd be fine. Once I get swapped over the the late style Banks up pipes I can compare the locations. The system came with a pyro and probe, and I have one in drivers side manifold. I can compare readings once I find a turbo I can use.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have used the DP. Choices were the standard banks pre-turbo location or the manifold. Now I can do either.

You must be registered for see images attach

;sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online