Pyro/Boost Gauges

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at Westach gauges and wanted to know if anyone has any good or bad experiences with this product. The 3 inch pyro/boost probe kit sells for $140. Also I don't know how much boost the DT makes, do I need the 0-30 psi or just 0-15 psi?

Thanks, Mark
You must be registered for see images

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Markinter said:
I was looking at Westach gauges and wanted to know if anyone has any good or bad experiences with this product. The 3 inch pyro/boost probe kit sells for $140. Also I don't know how much boost the DT makes, do I need the 0-30 psi or just 0-15 psi?

Thanks, Mark
You must be registered for see images

Mark,

I like it!!! Looks easier to read than the Hypermax I have. Go for it. You really should be keeping an eye on EGT's. You'll need the 0-30 boost. I make 16lbs unloaded, more loaded.

The warning light feature is neat! :thumbsup: Man, now I want one! ;Sweet

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I had one hooked up to mine for a while & it made right at 30 pounds with the wastegate plugged. So, the 30lb gauge will be all you need, unless you want twins later :Sly .

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....huh, I just found where the stock boost tube goes into the DTA's intercooler. There's a removeable NPT plug right at the top of the intercooler for a boost tube. Dang!!! I wish I known that before I drilled & tapped. mark, get ahold of me if you do this gauge, i can show you where to tap into the I/C. :thumbsup:

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
I have a plug on the pipe that crosses over the motor. I wish I had an aftercooler :D

Attachments

• Boost tap.jpg
    Boost tap.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 8

navistar45

Reaction score
hello all,add another newbie to the ranks. while on the subjet of gauges,where are some of you installing pyro probes at on yer 466 engines.ive got a good idea where,but iam open to advice from others.none of my internationals have pyros,figured its about time to do some adding,plan on gettin a little greedy with the pump on two of the trucks afterwards. sorry to highjack!

Markinter

User Registered
Reaction score
Welcome navistar45, the more the merrier :D

I'm not sure whether to drill the manifold or the downpipe and use the clamp mount to secure the probe. Here is my 91's turbo/mani

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15

navistar45

Reaction score
thanks mark. i was sort of thinking on the manifold top side,towards the front of the engine,or on the down pipe ,just below the bend. the mack i sold a few months back ,had it on the down pipe,just below the elbow. like yer picture,gotta get me one of the digital picture shooters,something about that blue engine,just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navistar45, GREAT to see you here! WELCOME! I know you'll like it here. At last, true M/D forums!!

I'll see if I can take a picture of my pyro probe. Mine is between the the black plastic/rubber tapered intake pipe and the turbo itself. In between them is a space big enough for a drill. I drilled & tapped it there. Fits good.

Mark, do you trust the clamps? I like to tap the hole and use the bushing they give you with the pyro.

I don't like drilling on the top of a manifold b/c the shavings tend to fall into the manifold then get into the turbo. I know the chance of damage is small, but I didn't want to risk it.

I put grease on my drill bit to keep the shavings stuck to the bit.

navistar45

Reaction score
hello duke,good to be here. a fellow ford friend told me about it the other day,thought id give it a try. have ya done anything about the tranny swap out in your dump truck yet?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. I haven't swapped the trans yet, but I have it narrowed down to a couple models. I found a couple places that will do the job, now I just need to be sure I make a good decision.

I think I'm going Spicer 7 speed, I'm just not confident the Roadrangers will fit properly without a great deal of expense.

Sorry to get off topic. :angel:

navistar45

Reaction score
if you are interested,i can maybe give some you some info on the 13spd setup,i have one in a 1900 series tandem,466 of course,5.38 rears ,if you are interested in performance and a little more highway speed,i strongly recomend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online