Puttin Atf in with diesel

jackson6.6l

Reaction score
A guy at work told me his buddy mixes a little atf in his tank when he fills up with diesel. What is the purpose of this, does it make a truck run any better? Will it hurt anything in the long run or is it ok?:dunno

Whit

Reaction score
ATF has alot of additives to it thats not good for yer fuel system.......................if ya wanna up yer lubricity simply add an ounce per gallon of 2 stroke oil..........its ashless and was made to burn

AzTraveller

Reaction score
A guy at work told me his buddy mixes a little atf in his tank when he fills up with diesel. What is the purpose of this, does it make a truck run any better? Will it hurt anything in the long run or is it ok?:dunno
There's a thread under the alternate fuels section on this forum where *** (Waste Tranny Fluid) is used "instead" of #2 by as much as 80%. You can burn *** as well as WMO (waste motor oil), as long as you filter it down to 1micron before using it. ;Sweet

If you're desperate, you can go into your wife's kitchen and grab ALL her cooking oil. A diesel will burn ANY oil, as long as it's clean (filtered), you won't plug your onboard filter(s), nor damage your IP, or injectors. :rotflmao

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's old school from 20+ years ago. It used to be done to clean injectors. Very few do it anymore.

One problem is the red dye in ATF makes it look like you are burning off road tax free diesel.

AzTraveller

Reaction score
That's old school from 20+ years ago. It used to be done to clean injectors. Very few do it anymore.

One problem is the red dye in ATF makes it look like you are burning off road tax free diesel.
I'm sure the smell of it will change their mind, quickly. :rotflmao
Come to think of it, *** wouldn't be red, would it ? :dunno

Most of the users of *** will mix it with #2 in an 80/20 ratio (80% ***/20% #2). The #2 provides the needed "lubrication" for the pump, etc.
'course, adding WMO to it would probably do better than #2 would, also remove the remaining "red". ;Sweet

discbrks

Reaction score
I did a little experiment... adding ONLY 5% WMO (black as night!) to the RED off-road fuel will turn the entire mix black. I let it sit in a glass mason jar for over a month and it will not separate.
*** is not red anymore... it turns the fuel kinda grayish looking.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
My boss is convinced that adding 1/2 pint per tank will save the injectors in our N-14, whereas adding fuel supplement will not.:rolleyes:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I did a little experiment... adding ONLY 5% WMO (black as night!) to the RED off-road fuel will turn the entire mix black. I let it sit in a glass mason jar for over a month and it will not separate.
*** is not red anymore... it turns the fuel kinda grayish looking.

I did the same thing too, and had very similar results. Once mixed with WMO, it's black! I'm not admitting that I've run ORF...:D