Put a 7.3L PSD in a '77 F-250

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Highboys have the same width frame as the non-highboys from the cab forward. The later F250's frames were wider from the rear of the cab back, that's all. In my opinion you want a highboy due to the divorced transfer case - then you could use a 2wd donor.

My bad on the frame part

suv7734

Reaction score
IS there a definative way to tell if it is a high-boy. i know the transfer case kind of hangs down lower, at least it looks like it does, on a high boy. any other ways?

Would the VIN tell if it is a true highboy and if so does anybody know how or were i could decipher the VIN?

Anything built pre-March 1st 1977, up to Serial # (ending in) Y20000 is a highboy.

Anything built March 1st 1977 and on, Serial # Y20001 and up is not a highboy

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have married and divorced t-cases. A divorced t-case is connected to the transmission via a "stubby" driveshaft and the t-case is remote mounted. On a married T-case, it is bolted directly to the transmission tail housing. Ill see what i can do on pics.

fomoco390

Reaction score
Worth every penny. More really. There just aren't any like that one left, and you couldn't bring one back to that condition for that price. Awesome!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Worth every penny. More really. There just aren't any like that one left, and you couldn't bring one back to that condition for that price. Awesome!

I think i am gonna have to expand my budget a tad if i want a truck that is in good shape and doesn't need a resto. i have seen some people say that they have invested like $15,000 to resto a truck like that and they are asking $7,000.