purging air from cooling system help

chopperdaw

Reaction score
ok i had to replace the heater core so i also replaced all the hoses as well.

I ran the truck for approx 20-30 mins with the rad cap off pumping the upper rad hose to get air out of the system. is the correct way? or did i f something up and theres a better way.

i have ran the truck a couple times and hasent given any trouble but havent driven it yet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
that will work.

Here is what I always did and it worked flawless for me...

Fill system and then open rad cap to first click or if you have a lever cap open the lever. Now idle engine until it reaches normal operating temp then shut off engine.

Make sure the overflow bottle has something in it because as the system cools it will pull from the overflow. Just shut the rad cap and it will suck what it needs. If you happen to let it suck air then you will have to repeat the process.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Those will work but the best way is to loosen the hose clamp on the highest heater hose on the firewall with the engine idling....this is the highest point in the cooling loop.

There is a check ball in the t/stat hsg but in most cases that ball is either corroded to the hsg or so severly pitted that relying on it is iffy at best.

Water pumps are designed to move liquid and will not move the air pocket in a closed loop....loosening the highest hose will allow the air to purge ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno Not knowing any better, for many many years, all I ever did, when replacing pumps, hoses, radiators, and the like, was to put everything back together and fill with coolant.

With the exception of the stupid cookoo "closed"cookoo system on a Jeep Cherokee, I never experienced any issues from lack of air-bleeding.

Ignorance was bliss.LOL

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you did good if you dont end up with problems. when i've done it its been with the engine off, filling it up real slow to let the air come to the top. when it fills up, run it and check the fluid after, if it needs more, add more. probably not the best way, but i never had a prob with her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online