Pulling heads from a 1983 F250 6.9

CrippledEagle

Reaction score
On the radiator. There is not a 2wd 4x4 radiator difference in an IDI. There are 2 different radiators, but it has to do with if the truck came with Factory A/C or not. There is a short/wide non A/C radiator, and a narrow/tall radiator that was in the Factory A/C Trucks. Sounds like you have the less common short/wide one......

Does the radiator stick way down below the frame rails?
Thank You for the guidance.
I am not able to get to view the two right now but both trucks have factory air and the radiators are the same size. For some reason the one ton has a mounting that is straight up and down while the 3/4 has the mounting at an angle.
I will be getting the one ton ready for use again bye the weekend as I think that I am going to go look at the two engines for sale. I will look it over closely as I check under the hood. Either way I will need the 3/4 radiator cleaned and repaired. Anxious to see what caused the center of the radiator to leak. I will take pictures if possible if there is indeed a difference between the two.
Love this old truck and plan on keeping it the rest of my life. Going to teach the Wife how to drive it too.
Thank You again.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can get pictures of the two radiator setups that would be helpful.

I’ve had F-250’s (3/4 Ton) and F-350’s (one ton) and have not seen a difference under the hood based on model. If they have the same radiator, and both the same body style, they use the exact same core support and everything that bolts to it. The 2 different size radiators, use a different core support, but you wouldn’t be able to mount a tall / narrow radiator, in a short / wide core support......

For example, if both trucks were a 90 (87-91 is the same body style, 80-86 is one, and 92-97 is the other) with the tall / narrow factory radiator, you should be able to pull each part from the core support on one truck, and bolt it directly into the other truck........