Pulling 7.3

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to use a combination of extensions that were 2 1/2 feet long to clear.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Trans crossmember to frame is 18mm and 15mm bolt/nut and a real time consuming PITA. Box end wrenches there for sure. Pull starter motor and oil filter. Top bolt on starter is another PITA, need extension to attack from the front.

Save the core support if not rusted out.
18 mm deep socket and a u joint or better yet an impact u joint and impact cuts that down but not everyone has these. Ratcheting box wrenches help.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 mm deep socket and a u joint or better yet an impact u joint and impact cuts that down but not everyone has these. Ratcheting box wrenches help.

I'm sure glad I have all of these

I have also been considering making the front cross member bolt in. But kinda on the fence about it. Any benefit to it aside from being able to change a oil pump in the truck?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I figured that Ford put stitch welds as well as rivets on the ones in my 86 Bronco and my first 85 F250 for a reason. That's why I stitch welded the diesel one after I bolted it into the Bronco during the conversion.

Story big blue

Reaction score
Okay this is a question for the experienced engine pullers.

I am pulling a 7.3 connected to a C6 and a 7.3 connected to ZF5 now the catch. I am doing this at a shop without any tools other than what I bring with me. What do I need to make sure I have. At my shop I have darn close to anything I could ever need but it will be a 10 mile drive to go get that tool I don't have.
Ttake
Trans crossmember to frame is 18mm and 15mm bolt/nut and a real time consuming PITA. Box end wrenches there for sure. Pull starter motor and oil filter. Top bolt on starter is another PITA, need extension to attack from the front.

Save the core support if not rusted out.
everything you can there is always something you need

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7