Prototype 6.9L- Blast From the Past

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been researching the origins and history of the 6.9L and ran across something you might like to see. It's an image of an early IH IDI V8 diesel on a dyno and it appeared in a March, 1982 an industry news story in Four Wheeler magazine that talked about the upcoming diesel war between Ford and Chevy. It said IH would invest $35 million in tooling and equipment for the Indy plant to produce the new diesel engine. Given the lead time magazines have (minimum 3 months) we can predict this pic was taken in 1981 and sent out in a press release. The pic was tiny and I blew it up as big as I could make it and still be decent. I can see some difference, including an oil filler cap and vent tube in the passenger side valve cover and dual belts driving the alternator.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice find. Also notice the passenger side manifold is dumping out the front.... Thats actually the drivers side manifold installed on the passenger side of the engine and its a van manifold I believe. Once I saw one of these engines in a wrecked big line truck used in the electrical industry. It had a differant exhaust manifold on the drivers side too. It dumped out the front also. The truck went over a roadside cliff.. Rolled and burned. Driver was killed... Still a nice pic of what was to come for Ford. Even way back then I wanted a Ford diesel....

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I just wanna know where I can get a bad-**** IH hardhat like that guy has.

LOL

Seriously, great pic and research, I was 4yrs old then, I can't imagine how neat it must've been waiting for the new state-of-the-art IDI to come out!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks to be a med duty truck engine due to the manifolds and big pulleys. Nice find.

Btw I was -5 years old then.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Jim.

I think I was about 238 by then, after the first couple hundred years you loose track :D

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
That was 9 years before I was born. That is a great picture and thank you for sharing! I love learning about this great engine.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Awesome pic, wish it was better quality but beggers cant be choosers.

Btw I was -5 years old then.

I wasnt even a thought. Just thought I should make you guys feel old LOL

That was 9 years before I was born. That is a great picture and thank you for sharing! I love learning about this great engine.

Think I might have you all beat, that was 11 years before I was born...and I still have people that make me feel old.