Propane

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Anyone ever run it on a idi? Im kinda thinking about maybe trying it on mine. Im not sure though. Im looking for just a little more in the hp and mpg areas.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I read some about it and the only requirement is that you have a turbo on the engine, otherwise it is a pointless exercise. It should work on your IDI.

That being said, there is some plumbing and switching and stuff going on, since I believe it goes into the chamber separately from the fuel charge. Then I could be talking out of my a**, too.

If you decide to do it, keep posting. There are lots of people looking for better mileage, more power and efficiency from these old beasties.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked into it a while back, I found out that it wasn't really going to save me any money on fuel. Sure you get better MPGs on diesel, but now you have to buy propane, and when I checked into it, the cost of propane wasn't low enough and it was going to end up costing me the same or even more for fuel, and that was not counting the price of the propane set-up, whether it be home-made or a bought system. I guess I am just trying to say, if you are going to do it for more hp, then by all means. It seems like a good way to get a little more power, but I wouldn't go into it thinking you are going to save a lot on fuel, unless of course you can get propane free or really cheap.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
zigg ran it on a n/a and could tell a difference doesnt have to be a turbo truck to run it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about propane as well. But, I really wasn't sure what is a good "system" for these IDI's. BullyDog, TS Performance????? Too much it a bad thing and I don't want to kill the sucker.LOL

Heath

Fullsize4life

Now with More Smoke
Reaction score
Well mine gets run real hard. When im towing or just driving it im ******* it. Im thinking it might help with the egt's also. Im still trying to figure out a better intake system for mine. Darrin what do you think it would cost to install a system on my rig?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if water/methanol injection would be better, then you could stuff more fuel in without superheating the air charge. Methanol also burns pretty good. Water injection isn't cheap though unless you make it yourself and if you do that you darn well better know what you're doing.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I wonder if water/methanol injection would be better, then you could stuff more fuel in without superheating the air charge. Methanol also burns pretty good. Water injection isn't cheap though unless you make it yourself and if you do that you darn well better know what you're doing.

there is another member on here i think his handle is crash86 or something like that and he has propane on his 6.9 head studs with a non wastegated banks and pump maxed out with a 5 inch exaust and he sees 19 psi of boost with really cool egts, and no intercooler.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of propane over water, just because I have heard of too many accidents happening with the methanol injection. In crash 86's truck there is a very noticable differnce when driving down the road with it off then suddenly turning it on, it kinda throws you back.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Ok, heres the lowdown on my propane system:

20#LPG tank in the tool box. 12V shut off silinoid, adjustable acetylene regulator at the tank that knocks it down to about 20 PSI. Then it goes to another adjustable regulator under the hood that that is set at about 7 PSI. Then it is dumped into the air stream behind the air filter.

To activate the system I have a red switch on the switch panel that turns on the system. There is a small switch that is located by the go pedal that activates the propane at about 3/4 throttle.

That is the basic system that I used on the IDI, Turbo and non turbo. When I switched to the Cummins I added a boost switch that is adjustable from 4 to 20 PSI. It is set to come on at anything above 10 PSI. That way no LPG will flow unless there is fuel and plenty of air first.

Pretty basic system but it works. I think it works better on the Cummins as far as power gains than on the IDI.

The down side is that there is not an adjustable regulator that will give it more LPG at a higher boost, it is either on or off. I could and may set up a dual system that will come in and add more LPG at 20 PSI and higher but that is just a thought for now.

Here are the dyno results when I had it on my IDI:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP
and 37.19 increase in Torque.

Hope this helps yall, gotta go for now,.

Attachments

• Propane system 002.jpg
    Propane system 002.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Propane system 007.jpg
    Propane system 007.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Propane system 008.jpg
    Propane system 008.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Propane system 009.jpg
    Propane system 009.jpg
    607.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Propane system 010.jpg
    Propane system 010.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 5

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Eject, Missiles, & Oil Slick?!? I'd like to see pics of all that in action! LOL

Darrin, if I only boost my IDI to 10 psi (max for now because I don't have head studs), what does LPG do to the boost numbers? Should I have heads studs done BEFORE running a system like this, or will I be okay as long as I "respect" the throttle pedal? I want to install a LPG system on my truck eventually, but I want to make sure I do it right and don't cause any damages because I failed to ask the "stupid questions".

bluecoot

Reaction score
Ok, heres the lowdown on my propane system:

20#LPG tank in the tool box. 12V shut off silinoid, adjustable acetylene regulator at the tank that knocks it down to about 20 PSI. Then it goes to another adjustable regulator under the hood that that is set at about 7 PSI. Then it is dumped into the air stream behind the air filter.

To activate the system I have a red switch on the switch panel that turns on the system. There is a small switch that is located by the go pedal that activates the propane at about 3/4 throttle.

That is the basic system that I used on the IDI, Turbo and non turbo. When I switched to the Cummins I added a boost switch that is adjustable from 4 to 20 PSI. It is set to come on at anything above 10 PSI. That way no LPG will flow unless there is fuel and plenty of air first.

Pretty basic system but it works. I think it works better on the Cummins as far as power gains than on the IDI.

The down side is that there is not an adjustable regulator that will give it more LPG at a higher boost, it is either on or off. I could and may set up a dual system that will come in and add more LPG at 20 PSI and higher but that is just a thought for now.

Here are the dyno results when I had it on my IDI:

Hope this helps yall, gotta go for now,.

Are those dyno results with or without a turbo?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online