Pretty sure the stealership is lying

sassyrel

Reaction score
29 a piece for glow plugs. That is 232.00 in parts alone. Figure 1 hour of check out time to figure out whats wrong and give the estimate. What is the labor rate? We charge 78/hour. Figure 2 hours to install the plugs, hoping nothing goes wrong on a 20 some year old vehicle. Add tax and shop supplies, 500.00 doesn't seem too far off. A little pricey, but I wouldn't say they are blatently "ripping you off". If you know so much, replace the glow plugs yourself, and take it back for the controller.
???????????????????????? we try and help people-----

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
just take a few hours and do it yourself. Is avoiding a little oil on your hands worth 500 dollars to you?

You can buy 8 glow plugs on ebay for under 100 likely and then the work is pretty easy.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
???????????????????????? we try and help people-----

Sorry. I work at a dealership, I bust my ass every day to fix vehicles correctly. I don't make a ton of money, and I don't rip people off. I just get a little tired of all dealerships being looked at as crooks. I'll stop ranting now.
John

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd blame the controller that THEY installed for burning out YOUR glow plugs. The way I see it the damage done by their warrantied part ruined your glow plugs.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some Motorcraft ZD1A glow plugs at Autozone in my area 3 weeks ago for $.01 each. When I was there they said the other store a few miles away had some as well. If you can't find any in your area let me know and I'll have look to see if they still have them, and priority mail them to you.
hey i could use a set of zd1a's and a set of zd9's. would you be kind enough to extend that offer to me? i tried to p.m. you but i couldn't get the option to come up.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I could do all 8 GP's on my 7.3 in a 1/2 hr tops unless I ran into a swelled tip or some other complication....I'm a truck tech at a Freightliner dealership and to me it seems they are trying to rook you...If you can remove a 3/8" bolt with a rachet you can replace a glow plug. I know how we run our truck shop and I also know how the automotive shops deal with customers....Seems to be a big difference how things are handled. Truckers are more knowlegable about their gear and less likely to be taken for a ride...If the $500 quote rang a bell in your head then you know they were trying to take you for a ride.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you can change spark plugs on a gasser you can change glow plugs on an IDI. that is provided there aren't any swollen tips. do you know if the plugs in there now are stock motorcrafts? if they are then you will be fine changing them yourself.