Powerstroke - Low Compression Pistons

rustnsuch

Reaction score
Is it possible to use Powerstroke pistons in an IDI block ?
Maybe even Powerstroke rods and pistons ?

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall says the PSD parts are incompatible. The pistons obviously are because they are DI pistons and the head has no prechamber consequently the tops are very different and would slam into the head on an IDI. As far as the rods... he gave a reason that made sense but I can't recall it. It sure seems like they should work cause they are oh so close.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well could 2 engine that were both 7.3 liters have a different bore even tho ones a di and ones an idi?

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
if the stroke is longer then the bore would be smaller in order to achieve the same displacement. Im not sure what the bore and stroke of either are but I could look tommorow at work.

I have both engines sitting 15 feet away (one is a 6.9, but I dont use 7.3's unless they are strokes) but im not far enough into either to pull the rods and compare.

punk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two are not compatable. The rods and pistons are too different. Gary will be along shortly with the spec differences.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok class is in.....:sly The pistons are the same size. Even the pin diameter is the same but... Because the psd pistons are setup with a combustion chamber dome they wont work too well in an idi... The rods are demensionally exactly the same. The top end and bottom ends are the same diameter bores but.... The psd are around 1.230 thick on the bottom and the idi rods are 1.098 thick on the bottom. So if your really good with a grinder..... Actually I was going to machine them down when I was working but.. The larger bolts on the caps would not have had enough material left around them to hold together. Also the area thats machined to hold the bearing from turning in the rods was a concern. So each rod is .130 thinker than an idi rod which makes each crank throw .260 too small in the idi. Tomorrow there will be a test on this material so study this tonite class...:rotflmao

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ok with the rods being thicker couldnt you just machine the block to allow them to fit? cause i know on my step dads 383 stroker motor we had to machine the block so the rods wouldnt hit

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok with the rods being thicker couldnt you just machine the block to allow them to fit? cause i know on my step dads 383 stroker motor we had to machine the block so the rods wouldnt hit

The crank would need to be modified as well. The wider crank ends would mean the two rods wouldn't fit on the journal either.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath is correct. The psd crank is about 1 1/4 inch longer than the idi crank.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hmm thats alot of work to put rods that aint really no better into a motor, be better off to just get custom ones made

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the idi rods are made from forged steel. Thats really hard to beat that dog... Yes... Some have thrown a rod and windowed the blocks but one needs to ask... What the hell were you thinking....:sly These motors stop making hp at 3000 rpm. Why push past that.. The torque stops at 2000 rpm too...Maybe we need an few cam choices so we can really rev these boats up and get that hidden hp at 4000 rpm...:eek:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
All the idi rods are made from forged steel. Thats really hard to beat that dog... Yes... Some have thrown a rod and windowed the blocks but one needs to ask... What the hell were you thinking....:sly These motors stop making hp at 3000 rpm. Why push past that.. The torque stops at 2000 rpm too...Maybe we need an few cam choices so we can really rev these boats up and get that hidden hp at 4000 rpm...:eek:

did someone say 4000 rpm??:slyLOL o that spring from mell is soo so tempting but i cant break the seal on my rebuilt ip:mad: but if someone has a ip laying around they would sell me:sly well then i will push mine past the limit:D

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use Powerstroke pistons in an IDI block ?
Maybe even Powerstroke rods and pistons ?
OT but,
That's a good looking tractor in your avatar. It looks like an H but it is hard to tell when the picture is that small. I collect IH myself, got a couple pullers and a couple that belonged to my grandfather and great grandfather. What other farmalls do you have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online