Power steering!

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not five minutes ago, I went to move my truck into the driveway of my house, cranked right up, turned into the street to back in when I head a big pop. All of the sudden it's really hard to steer. I manage to get it back where I want to to just see a trail of fluid in front of my house, pop the hood and I see that the line going into the PS pump is out, the line burst at the inlet on the side. So I'm assuming now since ford steering pumps don't like being run on low fluid, not to mention none for the smallest amount of time, I'm assuming I need a new one, plus new lines. Probably just going to order a new one off rock auto. But is there anything I should know when it comes to purchasing a replacement or installing a new one? Maybe there's a better model or something out there, I'm just curious. Also anyone know where to get the line? Thanks guys! Maybe one day I can be giving help instead of asking for it

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Start simple buddy. Get the line first. I had the same happen. My pump is still fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove from Alabama to Virginia when a hose popped at night, put a hose on and still working a year later.
They're tougher than I thought.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Normally I would replace it and be done but I'm with Jasper here just do the hose and go from there.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what happenes. Hopefully autozone has the line. I just had a couple tell me these lines hate low fluid. If I don't change it how I'll change it when I hydroboost

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I just went to a junkyard to find a hose but they were all nasty, did find two IDIs though, one being a XLT Lariat, and scored a Tac Cluster

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Autozone should have the line you need, but might have to wait for it to be transferred to your store. If you're going to replace the pump, I would recommend searching online for saginaw conversion pumps and the correct hoses to fit.

I did the conversion on the gasser but used adapter fittings on the pump and gearbox sides so I could run $10 NPT hydraulic hoses from tractor supply (4000 psi+ ratings). It was also the first step in getting the hydro assisted steering setup.

CaptainMorgan556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall were right. I changed the hose and I dumped the system of the rest of the oil dirty fluid. Bled the system and filled it with Synthetic ATF, and it quieter and smoother than it was before!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online