Power steering issue

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Having some issues with power steering. Turns like normal to the left, but turning to the right it feels like there is no power assist. Which is kind of sucks trying to maneuver a four door long bed in and out of a parking lot. The truck is a 91 F-350 4wd. The trucks tracks fine down the road and tire wear is even. Only slightly larger than stock tires. Steering feels tight with no play. Thanks for the help

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's the box. Not much else that can cause it.
A person could say the pump, but then it would be more than just turning right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I'll check into it a bit further. I know it's the stock steering box, and with the truck having 200,000+ miles, it's quite possible it's getting tired. I have put about 30000 miles on the truck with minimal issues but who knows how it was treated earlier in its life. What is the average life span of a steering box . Just wondering if it is premature to have to replace it at 207000. Also,what would cause the knuckle joints to wear out on side versus the other. How often would these need to be replaced/serviced. My knowledge is very limited on any of this stuff.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The ones he's talking about are the axle shaft ujoints. So no different than a ujoint.
The box, who knows. Depends how the truck was used, what condition roads it was on, etc.

nolson

Reaction score
Mine did that, would intermittently loose power steering to the right, never to the left. Changed box and no further issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I end up changing out the box,what brand would you guys suggest? I know the Red Heads have been popular ,but it sounds like there have been some quality control issues. Not really sure what else is out there other than the OEM replacement. Curious what people have had the best luck with.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Edit: Never mind. I didn’t fully read.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ive seen some people quit the redheads and go with Napa units. Even then, some had to swap once or twice to get a tighter one.

wa6rht

Reaction score
I put a NAPA one in mine and haven’t been real happy with how loose it is. Adjusted it a little tighter but still not as good as factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to replace the box in every truck I've had, not just because they were loose but because they'd spring a big leak.
First truck I had and not knowing any better, I bought from checker. Went through like 4 or 5 of them to finally get one that handled normal.
I just replaced the one in my new truck and went with a napa unit.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go with used low mile units from 2wd f150 or rangers if i can find them. Trucks been around long enough now low mileage are hard to find.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great info. Always helps to hear first-hand what's working and whats not. The jury is still out. Does it make sense to replace any other components while replacing the steering box. I would be inclined to leave well enough alone since everything else seems good,but ......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I go with used low mile units from 2wd f150 or rangers if i can find them. Trucks been around long enough now low mileage are hard to find.

That’s what I tried but with poor luck, besides it not leaking like mine was. It seemed tighter when in the Ranger at the junk yard, but wasn’t that I could tell once put in my 250.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks all for the great info. Always helps to hear first-hand what's working and whats not. The jury is still out. Does it make sense to replace any other components while replacing the steering box. I would be inclined to leave well enough alone since everything else seems good,but ......

Not exactly replacing but if you get a used gearbox, you might have to change the pitman arm depending on the donor vehicle.

I had to buy a special extra large/heavy duty pitman arm puller (about $20) to swap it over.

I also bought the Harbor Freight 120v electric impact gun. It made light work of changing it. I used the impact gun for other front end work plus for lug nuts, it’s a great tool if you don’t have a big air compressor setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online