Power Service = Worse Mileage?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Riddle me this guys, the last 2 tanks I've added a healthy dose of Powerservice at each fill up thinking it would be good to combat the dry, winter fuel we have here.

Before the Power Service, I averaged 16.85 MPG on the driving I consistently do with my 6.0. The last 2 tanks, I'm in the 15's on both tanks. This current tank I decided not to add in Power Service, and my mileage is back up into the high 16's again.

What gives? The only variable during that time frame is the Power Service. Driving conditions, driving route, driving style are very consistent, and not playing a role into the mileage fluctuation.

Ideas on why Power Service is reducing mileage in my 04' 6.0?

Edit: BTW, all tanks calculated from are on Winter Fuel. It's not a Winter Fuel thing

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Don't know. Best bet would be to finish the bottle up, and then switch to another brand to see if that changes anything. Maybe that will work?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Don't know. Best bet would be to finish the bottle up, and then switch to another brand to see if that changes anything. Maybe that will work?

Yea the bottle is empty. I'm going to run this tank w/ nothing in it. I'll pick up some Howe's next time I'm out and about. I'm just confused how a fuel additive could lower the mileage like this.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
a guy at work gave me a bottle of Opti lube to try and it killed my mpg. back to straight diesel and i can already tell mpg is up. i have used the white bottle of P-service before and haven't noticed anything though.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the bottle is empty. I'm going to run this tank w/ nothing in it. I'll pick up some Howe's next time I'm out and about. I'm just confused how a fuel additive could lower the mileage like this.

Any chance your favorite retailer is now selling winterblend? In other words, is it the fuel causing lower mileage and not the additive?

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance your favorite retailer is now selling winterblend? In other words, is it the fuel causing lower mileage and not the additive?

He already stated that all fuel was winter blend ... did you even read all the posts before you jumped in .. LOL ... I have noticed a slight drop in mileage when using power service in the past ... most of the time I just sue a couple pints of rubbing alcohol to prevent Icing up ... when it gets really cold though I do dump in a little PS to keep from Gelling Up ... Its always easier to put it in before hand than it is to try to get going once it gels in your filter and lines ...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He already stated that all fuel was winter blend ... did you even read all the posts before you jumped in .. ...

No I didn't see his edit on the bottom of his post, but thanks for pointing it out smartass. People seem to get awfully worked up when an 8000 lb truck that was getting 16 mpg suddenly drops to 14.5. It's not the additive you use, it's the weather. Everything is colder and stiffer in the morning, just maybe it sits and idles 5 minutes longer in the morning when you warm it up. Maybe "Station A" has a slightly different blend than "Station B".

Again, it's an 8000 lb truck that WAS NOT designed with economy in mind.

If that's what your looking for I'm sure there is a Prius on the next corner for sale.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have a psd, but i use ps grey in summer and white in winter. And it seems like i get more kms out of the tank then when i just ran straight diesel.....but then again i like to drive like a granny

wmoguy

Reaction score
No I didn't see his edit on the bottom of his post, but thanks for pointing it out smartass. People seem to get awfully worked up when an 8000 lb truck that was getting 16 mpg suddenly drops to 14.5. It's not the additive you use, it's the weather. Everything is colder and stiffer in the morning, just maybe it sits and idles 5 minutes longer in the morning when you warm it up. Maybe "Station A" has a slightly different blend than "Station B".

Again, it's an 8000 lb truck that WAS NOT designed with economy in mind.

If that's what your looking for I'm sure there is a Prius on the next corner for sale.

Mike: Let me clarify. I'm not ******** about the actual mileage. In fact I think it's quite a feat an 8k lbs wind brick can get this good of mileage as is. My post w/ inquiry was simply an attempt to LEARN why my mileage has dropped with Power Service. It' just doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry for wanting to learn.......

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries wmoguy, my remarks were not directed at you but more at the guy who ridiculed me for missing your edit.

There is nothing wrong with learning however I don't think there is anything here to learn. You're decrease in mileage isn't related to your fuel additive. A "one tank" test provides results that are way too spotty to scientifically point at one thing in particular.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
There are dozens of variables in mileage that it goes beyond just having the same driving style and fuel station.

Sometimes it's best(at least for our mental health) to not worry about it as much. I beat myself up for months over purchasing my Lexus which ended up only getting 10-11 mpg city(far off from the 18 mpg people were telling me). After months of trying things to get it to work right, I finally stopped worrying about it.

DieselManor

Reaction score
I always run Stanadyne Performance Formula in mine. I't increases my milage a little more than 1/2mpg. Keep in mind, that winter blended fuel is now out there. I assume that you purchased your fuel at the same station?