Possible air leak solution?

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have attached a picture of what I think my air intrusion problem is coming from...
This is the hard line going from my lift pump to the filter housing. As you can see in the picture, it goes into the head at an angle. Could this allow air in? There is a rubber O ring inside. Past that I've replaced everything else trying to fix this...

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... That could very well be the sourse of the air leaks. Find a good injection pump repair shop and buy the olive gasket for that... Its a 3/8 inch line. On the other side of the filter you have two fitting that use a 5/16 olive. Also there is one way back at cylinder number 8 on the fuel return line brass fitting. Remove the complete steel line to work on it... Thats so much easier than reaching way back there....

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try to get that line straightened out and replace the olives and see what happens, thanks!

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, got the line straightened and replaced the olive and I'm still getting air in the filter housing. It isn't a terrible leak, it always starts up, the only problem it seems to be causing is after I bleed the filter out, it'll run great for a few miles then start to lose power. Never to the point of dying, just makes it really sluggish until I bleed it out again.
I don't have any damp return lines or caps, no leaks around the lift pump, primary filter, or water seperator. This is really frustrating!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Then either install an electric lift pump or replace the mechanical lift pump. You might look at the rubber hose from the steel feed line to the lift pump. They don't last forever... Any crack in that will suck air just as easily as fuel.... Maybe even easier....

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I replaced that pig tail hose and the lift pump not even a month ago...but air in the fuel lines was the first thing that happened when the last one went out...guess I'll just wait and see. I'll go electric this time around if the pump is on its way out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes the mechanical lift pumps internal check vale fails... Then they syphon the fuel back out of the filter. This will happen is any return lines have a small air leak.. You usually don't see any wetness but air will draw back thru the leaks.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
Air problems

Okay, got the line straightened and replaced the olive and I'm still getting air in the filter housing. It isn't a terrible leak, it always starts up, the only problem it seems to be causing is after I bleed the filter out, it'll run great for a few miles then start to lose power. Never to the point of dying, just makes it really sluggish until I bleed it out again.
I don't have any damp return lines or caps, no leaks around the lift pump, primary filter, or water seperator. This is really frustrating!

Try bypassing the water separator? Just thinking out loud,;Sweet

LCjeff

Ps note my sig.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try that today. I just replaced the factory unit with a new one that has a primer on it, but I suppose anything could leak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online