Positive Battery Cable

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Searching reveals lots of threads on making your own cables. Does anyone have a source for a positive battery cable already made. Can they be had locally at auto part stores or online only. Anyone have some good online sources. Thanks Eric

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask idiot he came up with some a few months back iirc

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what I've done on 3 of my trucks. Currently running this setup on all three with NO issues. In each case I used the existing cables, just hacksawed the lead lugs off and swagged on solid copper welding cable lugs with 3/8 diameter hole and used the Marine style battery lugs with wing nuts.

I bought a cable swage tool from NAPA for about $40 so I can do my own cables.. it's proven to be a good investment.

I do not solder the lugs. I use DC4 to coat the end of the cable and inside of the lug before I swage it, then slip on a double layer of heavy gage shrink tubing [shrink on one layer, then shrink another over that with over lap on the outside layer].

One thing I DO use is a metric wave washer under the wing nuts to hold good contact.
Working on the truck, it's now a piece of cake to disconnect the batteries, before I do anything electrical.. I coat the connections with DC4 and the battery lugs, also use the red and green anti corrosion biscuits under the lugs.

The Marine lugs stand a little taller than you will like on the driver side ground lug.. clock it to clear the hood. You will be good to go for way less than stock battery cables with the terrible, impossible to find, impossible to get tight positive lug.

Good luck

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DC4 = Du-Electric Grease

CRC makes it and calls it "Technician Grade Di-Electric Grease" ... should find it at O'rilleys, or Napa. or any decent parts store.

I've worked in aviation for decades and the product we always used was called "DC4" so got used to calling it that.. sorry..

It seals out moisture and corrosion from any electrical connection, has a "grease" component to it so connectors make easy insertion... If I take a plug connection off.. I coat it with DC4 when I re-connect.. keeps it corrosion free and clean connection.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah yes use dielectric lots on connectors.

Grote and permatex

Also a joint lube compound for electrical connections. Will get product details soon.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outstanding!! Thanks!! I don't know how I missed the link cpdenton posted up....guess it's the luck of the search. Will be making a visit to O'Reilly's!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outstanding!! Thanks!! I don't know how I missed the link cpdenton posted up....guess it's the luck of the search. Will be making a visit to O'Reilly's!

Forum search leaves a little to be desired... try using google and entering the following:

battery cable site:eek:ilburners.net

You can search any specific site using this format.

Here is a shortcut... try this---------> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=battery+cable+site:oilburners.net
:sly

And, no experience with them but take a look at http://custombatterycables.com/application/f350_cables_1987-e99.htm

Last edited:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...a post from Eric! Almost as scary as seeing me online!

Joe!! JOE!! Is that you!!??? LOL.....yah I don't get on much anymore....lol.....I feel like the old gang I knew has moved on! Lol! The wealth of knowledge here from young and old is excellent and you can't stay away for too long especially when trying to keep these old gals on the road!

Thanks for the search tips!;Sweet

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
battery cable site:eek:ilburners.net

You can search any specific site using this format.
Works on just about any search engine, including the ones that don't spy on you, and don't want to take over the world. Def. required for OB, whose internal search seems to ride the short bus......