Popping from intake

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok well my truck has a Popping noise from the intake after using starter fluid.
It did this not too long ago but cleared up after running for a bit but today it did not. Maybe a stuck injector?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stuck injectors don't make popping thru the intake horn, bad intake valves and guides do. Starting/ether fluid can do much damage internally, bent rods , holes in pistons, broken valves and more. It's been warned many many times in this IDI forum.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yes I know. My glow plugs are all burned out so. Been getting by with starting fluid.
Best way to diagnose this?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
leak down test.

eather? really?
youve been here long enough to know better
:backoff

new glow plugs and a controller.
or a button.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leak down test.

eather? really?
youve been here long enough to know better
:backoff

new glow plugs and a controller.
or a button.

Exactly. First you take the turbo off your truck, then use ether. Seriously pal? What's next, swapping in a E4DOA????

;Poke ;Poke :D

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like already stated, I would perform a leak down test. IMO, this sounds like an intake valve problem. It could be a number of things including a dirty or collapsed lifter, bent pushrod, worn guide, cracked valve etc.
I would also check blow-by. If it has increased substantially, I would vote for a cracked piston. This does happen on occasion when using excessive amounts of ether.
A healthy ignition, glowplug & injection system will almost never require the use of ether on a diesel engine.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok Ok I knew I was going to get Flamed for it.
My Glow Plugs are shot so I've been using starter fluid was it a good idea NO! But I used what I had.
Weird thing is it's gone now runs fine now a little ruff but that's probably cause I'm on a quarter of a tank. I used a couple quarts of trans fluid in the tank. Smokes like a devil but it seemed to help :dunno

So I'm going to check the valves and go from there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waystro, not more than 2 weeks ago, we helped some new kid with less than 4 posts with some injectors, a vacuum pump, and Russ even kicked down a return line kit.
you never mentioned a glow plug issue, we could have helped you work through it.....

sadly, i would bet on a valve.
if a piston was cracked, you would be experiencing alot of blow by, and a drop in compression..

any popping out of the intake i will place cash on a intake valve.
i would suspect a lifter issue or a pushrod issue, but the fact that you put dynomite in her, you have a jacked valve.
if you need to borrow a leak down tester, i have one, i just dont have the adapter to pit it in a GP hole.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Wow thanks the Tester would be great. I'll search around and find the adapter I need.

Weird thing is it goes away. I would think if it was a Intake valve or something it would be all the time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the adapter needs to go from the glow plug hole to a 5/8 or 13/16 spark plug thread.

the only other thing you would need is a compressor.

it goes away you say?
what are you doing to make it go away?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
the adapter needs to go from the glow plug hole to a 5/8 or 13/16 spark plug thread.

the only other thing you would need is a compressor.

it goes away you say?
what are you doing to make it go away?

Well I let it idle for about 10 mins and nothing changed so I poured trans fluid in the fuel tank. Ran for another 5 mins then parked it for 2 Hours. Get back in fires up no more popping. :dunno Running a little ruff but figured that was because I'm almost on Empty.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then its something else entirely.

first things first. get your glow plug system up to par.
if you need some, i will send you my old ones, they still work, but they were mismatched.
even wellmans that work would be better than using eather.

i just replaced mine for good measures when i changed my IP.
maybe someone has a spare controller around?

not being able to afford new parts isnt a crime.
but regularly using eather on your truck when you know full well of the damage will get you strung up.
by your own belt,
with your FOMOCO buckle slapping you in the face.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
I had a truck do the same thing same scenario fired with death juice no glow plugs a sniff of death and -20 popped out the intake no oil psi shut it off fired it back up **** gone motor in the truck came outa a tilt bed so it had a rough life before I put it in one glow plug hole I think is welded shut the other 7 need replaced truck still runs good 30 thousand miles later

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
then its something else entirely.

first things first. get your glow plug system up to par.
if you need some, i will send you my old ones, they still work, but they were mismatched.
even wellmans that work would be better than using eather.

i just replaced mine for good measures when i changed my IP.
maybe someone has a spare controller around?

not being able to afford new parts isnt a crime.
but regularly using eather on your truck when you know full well of the damage will get you strung up.
by your own belt,
with your FOMOCO buckle slapping you in the face.
That would be awesome on the glow plugs. Pm me with shipping and I'll get it over to you. :angel:
Yep I'm not using eather anymore learned my lesson on that one. :bail