Poly Body Bushings??

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just realized last night that I'll need core support bushings when replacing the Enterprise's core support. Bushings are pretty toast as usual. I can't find any at the parts stores, but found the kit for them at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mob...Core-Support-Mounting-Kit/productinfo/331035/

But since they're so expensive, why not a poly bushing set?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-6-108/overview/year/1990/make/ford/model/f-350
Or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-4-4107r/overview/year/1990/make/ford/model/f-350

My question is, has anyone bought/used one of the polyurethane bushing kits and what does it have in it as far as core support bushings? I'm sure I'll need to replace the hardware as as well on mine, but I think that can all be gotten from a hardware store.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. That's what I used. Several others have too. I think there's a tech article on the process.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Indeed there is, guess I overlooked it. But it lacks any details about the core support mounts. Great for the cab mounts though.

From what I can gather without having them apart is the factory core support bushings have one that has a threaded metal insert in it. Did you guys just go get a large washer and a nut to replace it?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the poly kits come with 2 large washers and a metal insert.
you will need to provide your own bolt.
new bolts and anti seize are recommended.
with the core supoport, the poly bushings are smaller in height than the OEM ones, so shim with more washers and be golden.

use metal locking nuts for final install.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I used the Prothane kit since it's cheaper. I've used Energy Suspension for several suspension bushings. IMO they are both good quality, so whenever I need bushings I go with whichever brand is cheaper.

Be aware if you want it to go together like factory your factory washers and specifically the fancy shaped threaded washer that inserts into the bushing is required. Only way to get it that I've found is by ordering the rad support bushing kit, which is what I did. Pretty expensive for a bolt+nut+washer. Also check your frame mounts, mine were rotted but I got replacements from JBG.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've used poly bushings for suspension before and they are great. If I can get away with not having the factory nut/washer/bushing then that's what I'll do. About $80 for the poly ones, plus having cab bushings included versus $100 for factory ones seems like a no brainer.

If the brackets are rotted in the center, I'll probably have my buddy weld washers on top of them. I hate grinding rivets and would have to destroy the brackets just to get to them and new ones can rot out just the same. As for the welding, I've only worked with a buzz box and the garage we'll be in lacks a 220V circuit. He's a lot better with a wire fed than I.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed my front brackets. I also bought a full body kit for obvious reasons. The new core support bushings don't actually need the hexagonal holes because you don't use the original mount bits iirc. I'll show it when I get there.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I changed my front brackets. I also bought a full body kit for obvious reasons. The new core support bushings don't actually need the hexagonal holes because you don't use the original mount bits iirc. I'll show it when I get there.

I'll be watching :Thumbs Up

Now I'm off to search for the size of the coolant plugs in the block, and whether or not it's large enough to install a mechanical coolant temp probe in it. It'll determine if I'm going to return the Stewart Warner gauge I have and do all my mechanical gauges in ISSPRO's.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are 1/8" npt but don't hold me to that. Depends on where you want to put the sensor.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've also read 1/4". I believe even that would be too small. If that's the case, I'd have to find out which sensor on the drivers side front of the engine I could do without. Looks like I'll be killing the dash gauge on this truck too.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Do you have a measurement on how much difference? That would be some valuable information. I could either estimate the amount of washers I'd need, or get a couple of hockey pucks LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have not put my setup back together yet but it looks to be about a 2" or so gap I will have to make up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online