Plumbing for stacks - flex or rigid?

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I'm in the process of adding a single stack to my truck. The horse's heads stick out of the left side of the trailer and the black smoke will go down the right side.
I have fabricated and installed all of the mounting brackets, base and fittings along with the purchased stack. All that is left to do is to cut the existing pipe and attach it to the connector that I made for the stack. Should the piping be solid pipes or flex pipe? I have been trying to find a section of 3" flex pipe but am having no luck. I can order it from NAPA or O'Rielly. The Azone just gave me that deer in the headlights look. From these places I have to buy 10 or 25 feet. I only need about 18 inches.
It seems to me that if I connect it using solid pipe that the tourque of the engine and the slight twisting of the frame and body on rough roads (live down a dirt road) will eventually work the connections loose. Any thoughts on this? Or any idea where to get a short piece of 3" flex?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I have used flex on all 3 that I have done and have had no problems I have no idea other wise but I would go flex pipe better safe then sorry

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a pre-cut 3' joint of 3" flex at NAPA, galvanized for something like $10; if I had wanted to go to the next town over, their NAPA had it in stainless for about $20.

3" flex is not that un-common and stores around here that have it in rolls will sell it by the foot and cut off what you want.

Definitely go with the flex; if nothing else, it will cut back on solid connection reverberrations.

I had two seperate trucks that had solid connections to the stacks with no major gripes; but, flex is better.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on fabbing an exhaust for my 94 f250 turbodiesel, I have been trying to make a 3.5 in rigid downpipe, would this flexpipe work for the downpipe portion of my exhaust instead of a rigid pipe?

Thanks,

-Rob

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The down-pipe is at the hottest point of the exhaust, once it leaves the turbo.

The flex will work if you can make it hold its shape once installed; also, you would have to have a portion of rigid at the turbo flange, as the flex doesn't make a good connection at this point.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup I was planning on welding a homemade flange to the outlet housing thenusing some sort of exhaust clamp. Which would hold up to heat he best, galvanized or stainless? The rest of my piping will be galvanized.

Thanks,

-Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351