piston removal

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
hey all, i've gotten to the point where i want to remove my pistons out of my 7.3. I was wondering if it's possible to remove the crank and piston cooling oil jets, and pull the pistons and rods out from the bottom of the block. I'm going to get a ridge reamer later, for now though i'm just cleaning everything up. Is this possible? Is there enough room? :dunno

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
You might want to do a search on the oil jets, IIRC someone posted about those jets not to long ago and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are 2 styles , press fit and a screw in style. And I'm not sure but I think there's is a special tool you need to remove them.

91crew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3's all have removable jets. Just take the jets out, remove the rod caps and carefully remove the piston out the top of the bore. I used a wood handle from a rubber mallet and placed it on the underside of the piston and hammered lightly.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will not come out the bottom. put some hose over the rod bolts so you dont ding the crank or you WILL smoke the rod bearings after rebuild.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Even if you could get them out from the bottom you'd never get them back in that way. Are you rebuilding or just scavaging parts?

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
just an overhaul... i found out that you can only remove a couple pistons from the bottom, the castings get in the way...BUT i got them all out by using a bit of emery cloth on the ridge. thanks guys.