Piston protrusion spec?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All 6.9 and 7.3 specs are the same at a maxium out of the cylinder spec of 31 thousands. this needs to be mearusred by the special tool that can be dought thru summit catalogs. or thru the northern tool catalog too. Ebay has it listed too.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
All 6.9 and 7.3 specs are the same at a maxium out of the cylinder spec of 31 thousands. this needs to be mearusred by the special tool that can be dought thru summit catalogs. or thru the northern tool catalog too. Ebay has it listed too.

Thanks for the info here. I just set one piston and rod in with out torquing down as im not ready to measure clearances yet but I put a dial indicator on the block and set the dial at 0 on the deck surface. then I brought the piston up to zero and went back and forth between the deck and the piston to make sure the piston, dial, and deck were all at 0. Then i brought the piston up the rest of the way and I have .021" with the one piston not torqued. Does that sound like an ok way to test protrusion? Of course I will do it more accuratly when I have it all torqued and stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats how it can be done but. Use the dial indicater at the wrist pin center line area. Do this because the piston can rock in the bore and give a false reading. Also the use of a mag base will give you a good base for the readings taken. The 21 thousands reading is fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online