piston oilers on 6.9

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked with a machine shop do bore 6.9 and other work. He said that the oilers are pressed in and will need to be replaced. What has anyone done on these. I bought the new 40 over pistons and .010 shorter, ARP studs and now ready to get machine work done. Ford makes better cam bearings, is this correct or does he just want to up price. I am checking price to have piston tops coated. Is around 850 about right for machine work. Clean,bore, pressure test for pin holes, surface block, new oilers and cam bearings. 150 to balance. I plan to get torque cam fron Type 4 as well as injectors. Hoping to be safe, I bought 10 under on bearings with rering kit. The machinist said the cranks are tough and seldom need to be turned, if so should I get standard or have it turned even if it checks out okay? I don't have a bottomless pocket, but I want this build to be right. ALL input is THANKED ahead of time.
Herb

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the crank can be polished then I would not grind it. Never heard anything about Ford making better cam bearings.. They actually don't make anything for these motors. International does. And they probably farm out to offshore machine shops for a better profit margin. Ask Russ typ4 what he thinks about cam bearings. I know he likes a crank bearing made near me....

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Your machinist is correct. the pressed in oil coolers are not reusable and require a special tool to install. Check with IH for replacements as I don't think Ford has them anymore.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For engine parts, I would get real cozy with your local IH dealer. They are typically cheaper. I've bought Ford headgaskets, and what you get is a Ford box, with an IH box inside. It's actually pretty darn funny.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my guy can do better on price, ford does not make their cam bearings. I have a source for all other parts you may need.
Never grind a crank unless it needs it.

topgunn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turning crank

In the past when working on gassers, it usually was needed to turn crank. When I got the re-ring and gasket set on Ebay, the guy called me and asked for bearing sizes and not THINKING, I said 10 under. If crank can be polished, I will get standard sizes. I might windup with extra set but that is MY BAD. I just want to build a GOOD 6.9.:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated, the crank usually doe not need to be turned. Like Barney (flatlander) you gotta get the piston oil cooling jets and there is a special tool to install them. I used Clevite (made by Mahle) main, rod, and cam bearings.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online