Pinion nut torque???

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 F-350 CCDRW 4.10 geaars.
7.3 N/A
Hey, pinion nut has backed off. I have to start 1500 mile trip in the morning. Gotta know the torque for the diffreiantial pinion nut. or the bearing preload setting etc etc etc. I need to know a safe quick fix for tightening it/ up. I'll worry about getting it exactly right after buying new crush washer etc etc. I was changing the u joints for the trip, and found the source of my vibration noise was most likley the nut being loose, as it had allowed the yoke quite a lot of freedom of movement. Without thinking I ran it tight with an impact, immeditly thought about what I had done, and backed it off.

Sorry about typo's grammer etc, I am using my inveentory computer from work to post this messgae.

Please tell me a side of the interstate get me home fix that won't cause severe bearing damage etc. I don't know where rather this model has a crush washer, bearing preload method or simply nut torque setting method for this particular part.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Red Loctite and 140 foot pounds, rotate and make sure it's not over tightened, but unless the crush sleeve was already crushed to far, it won't be.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh, and my post, as well as yours will definitely start a **** storm of replies on how you should fix it right! lol

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah but it's a little hard to get dealer parts on the 4th, I got 4 little girls waiting on me to get to the beach tomorrow. It's worth a new rearend just to get down there with them. As blong as I can make the 750 miles down, i'm good, I'll take my toools and re do it right when I get there. thanks for the quick reply, getting bored waitringon the wistle to blow and the skids are coming off the loine slow so i'm sitiing here wishing my forklift cpomputer was fast enought to watch youtube.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not admitting anything but a 3/8 impact gun will run it down pretty close to where it's supposed to be... Not that I would have experience with this :rolleyes:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've torqued several to 140, some have been later fixed to correct, others...well, I know a couple are running around that way many years later. 140 will not crush the crush sleeve, and red Loctite will generally keep it there...and yes, I've done it, yes it works, and no it's not caused any other issues! EVER!~ maybe I'm just lucky. I put a new ring in pinion in mine to switch gears, but the 4.10's I had in there before were torqued this way from the day I installed the rear axle and they worked and looked fine when removed!

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Those will be 4 unhappy girls if they don't get to see me late tonight.. I'll rebuild it later If I have to.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and my post, as well as yours will definitely start a **** storm of replies on how you should fix it right! lol
Only if he put's a 780lbs-ft impact on it and holds the trigger till nothing moves LOL

Nah, your way works just fine, I can attest to it.

Those will be 4 unhappy girls if they don't get to see me late tonight.. I'll rebuild it later If I have to.
Truck be damned, family takes priority each and every time. FWIW, once I drove halfway across the country with a loose yoke - when driveshaft started vibrating bad enough it felt like a tire threw the tread I finally pulled over, tightened the SOB with the breaker bar I use for the lug nuts, and kept running against the overspeed governor to make up lost time. Then drove her like that several more years LOL Hope you had a great time on the beach.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made the trip fine cost me 0.00 dollars in fuel, about 20.00 in feed in water, and 10.00 in used oil. Didn't burn all the oil either, figure it'll get me most of the way back before I have to buy some diesel. Got a serious vibration at 40 to 55 MPH been raining since this morning, so I haven't had time to look at the yoke. Figure I didn't get it tight enough. I was fairly ginger with the trigger, most likely didn't give it enough, I also didn't use any 277 on it either. Gonna re tighten it tomorrow if the weather holds up. And dump some 277 on it, or quite possibly put a little tack weld on it I bet THAT will get a LOT of you guys stirred up. I'm actually hoping it's a problem in the yoke, and not a problem with the universals I replaced at the same time I replaced the swing bearing.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made the trip fine cost me 0.00 dollars in fuel, about 20.00 in feed in water, and 10.00 in used oil. Didn't burn all the oil either, figure it'll get me most of the way back before I have to buy some diesel. Got a serious vibration at 40 to 55 MPH been raining since this morning, so I haven't had time to look at the yoke. Figure I didn't get it tight enough. I was fairly ginger with the trigger, most likely didn't give it enough, I also didn't use any 277 on it either. Gonna re tighten it tomorrow if the weather holds up. And dump some 277 on it, or quite possibly put a little tack weld on it I bet THAT will get a LOT of you guys stirred up. I'm actually hoping it's a problem in the yoke, and not a problem with the universals I replaced at the same time I replaced the swing bearing.

I'd actually rather it was a $30 u-joint... Maybe that's just me though cookoo I can't say much about welding the yoke to the nut (Seeing as I've been known to weld roller bearings in after they've spun and Worn the housing) :eek: The things you do on a farm... ;Really

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibrations are quite possibly result of loose yoke, I know mine were. Tacking the nut, hardly a big deal, I've welded U-joints and balljoints already, and I don't mean just tacks either LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online