Pictures of DMF?

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Does anybody have pictures of the DMF? And what diameter is the clutch disk for the ZF flywheel?

I just pulled the clutch and flywheel off an '87 6.9 w/t19 and the friction disk says luk on it. Just wanted to find out if it had a luk flywheel as well. Did any years have an SMF stock? Disc measures 11". Was curious if this stuff would fit on the ZF I plan to mate the engine too. Thanks! :D

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would know if it was a DualMass flywheel as there are all knds of junk in a dualmass, springs, fricton plates. A T19 had a single mass flywheel, as for putting it in a 7.3L/ZF5 there has been alot of discussion about this and some have done it I think......... Jim

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
A single mass flywheel looks like any other automotive flyhweel used behind a gasser. As the others said you will tell right away if you have a dual mass flywheel because the friction surface of the flywheel moves.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
It is a single mass for sure then. I will have to look into mating it with the zf once I get things apart. I heard a rumor once that ford made the DMF to protect the fragile gears of the zf. Somehow even with a springed friction disc you could break the zf gears through all the vibrations of the engine. May just be a rumor though since I haven't heard hard proof of that. :popcorn

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no data to suggest that the ZF gears are damaged by a SMF. Many are running one in some form or another, and the DMF exists only to get rid of the extensive gear roll over noise prevelent in the ZF when used behind a diesel turning under 1000 RPM's.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
So I take it this gear rollover noise is the loud growling that vibrates the whole truck when grunting along under 1000rpm especially with the trailer hooked up? I was wondering what that was...I sure hope the ZF with solid flywheel isn't much worse than the old T19. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online