Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I had some time yesterday to rip the bed off and get the truck stuffed in the garage.
I pulled the rear doors to get started on all this lovely rust here....
After that, I'll drop the tranny and see what I want to do there when I replace the clutch fork. If everything goes as planned, I'll go through the zf6 I got from @catbird7 and put it in with a fresh clutch and hydraulics.
I'm really looking forward to having it shift correctly. It is a real pain right now.
I am seriously considering a pickup bed and single wheel swap after all that. That part is still up in the air though, a lot depends on my job situation and needs with the truck.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Well....
Plans changed

I the inner structure of the cab was way worse than I expected, so I'm gonna just swap cabs. And of course since that isn't enough work, I'm swapping on a crew cab to make it worth my while. If my measurements are correct, a 1 inch body lift will clear the frame rise ( cab and chassis).
All that's left is the HVAC stuff under the hood, then it's ready to come off.
I'm currently looking for a cab, so any leads would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Rock

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....
Plans changed

I the inner structure of the cab was way worse than I expected, so I'm gonna just swap cabs. And of course since that isn't enough work, I'm swapping on a crew cab to make it worth my while. If my measurements are correct, a 1 inch body lift will clear the frame rise ( cab and chassis).
All that's left is the HVAC stuff under the hood, then it's ready to come off.
I'm currently looking for a cab, so any leads would be appreciated as well. Thanks

Rock
crew cab with a blow gasser might be your best bet...as you have everything there to make the complete swap

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Some of those photos bring back memories. Be prepared for wiring harness changes. It's also a great opportunity to double up on acoustic materials. My cab is remarkably quiet.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Cab is ready to be picked off.

Today was fun.....all of the stuff I left for last got done.
During all of this thinking time, it occurred to me, now I can actually see the engine under all that crap. Which leads to another idea.....
A tilt hood
I realize this won't be a walk in the park, but I plan on keeping this truck, and serviceability means a lot to me. You may notice I cut the inner fender/radiator support subframe out. The idea is to have close to the same access with the new cab.
The next idea.....
This one is just looking for trouble I know, but I would like to slim down on some of the wiring if possible. I'm thinking of using a t444e harness and pcm. Other option is slim down the factory harness which I'm not crazy about, but then I can keep the super duty modules........
(Deep breath)
...I miss my IDIs,lol
Wish me luck

I've got a lead on a crew cab, I may go pick it up this weekend if all goes well.

Rock

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I miss my IDIs,lol
Just reminding you some more ;)

Did you get rid of all your IDI's that are listed in your signature?

I would happily get rid of my E4OD to have less wires. But then to work 3 pedals in the van footwell, I would probably have to be barefoot.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Just reminding you some more ;)

Did you get rid of all your IDI's that are listed in your signature?

I would happily get rid of my E4OD to have less wires. But then to work 3 pedals in the van footwell, I would probably have to be barefoot.
Yes, wish I would've at least kept my 87 zf5 .
I'm kind of keeping an eye out for another as a backup truck.

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly an ambitious project! Not sure what condition your front sheet metal is however you might also consider a front clip swap? I've been kicking the idea around myself (minus the tilt feature). Since you already cut the side fender mounts and core support, you could likely buy a complete front clip that includes the inner structure which would allow you to avoid buying swap brackets. Those brackets alone are around $700 last I checked (McNasty). Up to 2016 Super duty front sheet metal can be used.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered a front sheet metal swap for my van at one time; I would do it for functionality over looks. (better headlights)

But then I have read mixed reviews over how much better those headlights are.....So I will prolly end up going with added driving lights, and not the "blinding to other drivers type"

I did work with Daniel Stern to get the best factory lighting available for my van, with the best bulbs. I have all the parts, and yet to install them :oops:

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I picked up the donor truck last night

Rust free rig, definitely didn't live an easy life, but the cab is solid. It's a 5.4 auto 2wd. It's got 99k miles on it, so I figure it's worth it for parting it out.
It made the 3hr drive home, so I can't complain.
That's the good news.....
Now, on the flip side, I got a little messed up this weekend, and will be a little set back now..
I crushed my hand and split it down the middle under a steel been, then got creamed in the head and knocked out....
So I have to get this stupid cast off before anything can get done. Definitely could have been worse. Be careful out there folks.

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice score on the donor! Sorry to hear about your accident. Those things always seem to happen at the most inconvenient time.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Nice score on the donor! Sorry to hear about your accident. Those things always seem to happen at the most inconvenient time.
Thanks, it worked out better than I expected with the donor. I was very happy to be able and drive it back since my dually is obviously under the knife right now.
The funny part is I have been daily driving the donor(automatic) since I only own manual vehicles ,and temporarily can't drive a manual with my hand the way it is,lol.

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Cab is off

Now I can clean up the chassis and paint it.
My goal is to get the chassis painted before it freezes, so I can then work on pulling the donor cab

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've.used por15 on most all of my projects and have no complaints, other than price. Properly cleaning and prepping the metal makes all the difference regarding adhesion. I use wire wheel, grinder, and hand sanding in areas where the grinder or wheel can't reach. Then treat the surface with their acid prep. It's a tough finish and excellent corrosion resistance. As expensive as it is, they package it in cheaply made metal can that is difficult to effectively reseal once initially opened. Best trick I found for resealing the can, place several drops of motor oil in the lip, then place a plastic Walmart bag over the top and press the lid down normally. The oil will not allow the paint to adhere to the can lip and the bag acts as a gasket allowing the lid to be removed and replaced as often as necessary. At $60 bucks (or more) per quart you gotta protect it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller