Phoenix IDI mechanics

Charlie B

Reaction score
Anyone in the phoenix area know of any shops that have a clue about 6.9/7.3 IDIs??

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Phoenix. I called several a while back and the only shop that knew what an idi was, was Chucks speed and rv center but they wouldn't work on it. Strictly diesel may, the owner is a former ford diesel master mechanic. Maybe try some places near farms, out in Buckeye or Gilbert.

I ended up doing everything myself, eveything. What are you having problems with?

zachacuna

Reaction score
I'm in Phoenix. I called several a while back and the only shop that knew what an idi was, was Chucks speed and rv center but they wouldn't work on it. Strictly diesel may, the owner is a former ford diesel master mechanic. Maybe try some places near farms, out in Buckeye or Gilbert.

I ended up doing everything myself, eveything. What are you having problems with?

Hey guys also in phoenix area here. Wondering same thing. I would like to take somewhere to get timed. im fighting a nasty oil leak right now. was thinking it was the oil return for turbo but looks bone dry around rubber seal. degrease and wash everything underneath and run tmw to hopefully see where oil is coming from. its a major oil leak.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can add a uv die to the oil (doesn't hurt anything at all) to help figure it out. It's like the AC stuff.

Most of the major stuff I've worked on myself. I've found places (there is a perkins pump place and southwestern diesel and electric) that will work on individual components, but places I've called either don't know what and IDI is or said they wouldn't work on them.

Let me know what you all hear find out as well.

Hey guys also in phoenix area here. Wondering same thing. I would like to take somewhere to get timed. im fighting a nasty oil leak right now. was thinking it was the oil return for turbo but looks bone dry around rubber seal. degrease and wash everything underneath and run tmw to hopefully see where oil is coming from. its a major oil leak.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give Kent's Diesel Works a call.
434 W. 3rd Ave.
Mesa, AZ 85210
602-844-9591

Kent's just did a bare block overhaul on my buddy's 87 F250, 6.9... full set of sleeves, did the heads, crank... installed a turbo kit from Mel, as well as a bunch of drive train stuff to get the truck sorted properly.. all quality work, fair prices for the quality of work, but not an "economy shop" so be ready. Kent refuses to do work that is less than quality. If you ask him for a "patch job" he will send you away. My buddy doesn't know a nut from a bolt so he ask me to keep an eye on the work progress. Always found everything done exactly right and right by the numbers.. He spent a bunch, but got a really good engine built, even down to having a special 5 core radiator built for the truck.

Shop is Very busy... so expect to wait to get a slot to get in. He does large commercial trucks as core business and those customers take first place since their incomes depend on getting their trucks back in service.

Good luck