Permanent clear lines for return setup...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As towcat has posted what the op wants to do sounds like overkill. But if thats what an owner wants then its what gets done.
Now about the different size return lines on the 6.9 or 7.3 engines. For one, my rig came with the smaller size lines. This was factory too. An easy way to determine what size you have is look at the color of the clamps between the injectors. Green is the smaller 3/16 and the red is the larger 1/4 inch lines. Any engine can run either size but you must make sure you have all the same size fittings like the filter bleeder or the fitting at number 8 cylinder location. Both sizes are available. Oregon Fuel Injection sells both size filter bleeders too.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been known to go a little overboard sometimes. :D

...quick side question. Anyone got a part # for the blockoff plate that DOESN'T need any grinding/alteration? Putting the list together for the electric pump upgrade right now...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's in the tech article on e-pump conversion.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The advantage of having clear line between injectors will be if you develop a air leak at an injector/cap you will be able to see exactly which one is the culprit.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let us know if it is infact a direct bolt on.
i still have my crappy lift pump installed.
i need to delete it before the arm breaks off!

i have a bucket of parts to install, just waiting on a few more.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let us know if it is infact a direct bolt on.

That tech write-up pic looked like there were no grind marks anywhere on it... So i just assumed it is good to go. I'll let you know. Parts arrive wed. Rain thursday. Install friday. I'll post after...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The advantage of having clear line between injectors will be if you develop a air leak at an injector/cap you will be able to see exactly which one is the culprit.

Exactly! Some may call it overkill... I call it prudent. Do i want to hunt endlessly for a return leak swapping out sections for clear, only to buy a whole new return system every time out of frustration like so many do?

...or do I do the clear setup... and allow myself to be able to pinpoint problems quickly, and replace single failed component rather than all the caps and lines?

Option 2, thank you! :D

Heide264

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my $0.02... be careful with anything that is Teflon/PTFE lined. The lines become very difficult to seal well, especially under any pressure. I've tried to use Teflon lined fuel lines in my supply system for my gasoline car (30psi-40psi system - nothing too high by any means) and even with step-less oetinker clamps over very tight fitting barbs, the line would still leak like crazy. I think the only way to get those Teflon lined fuel lines to seal well is with an actual crimp on AN type connection after attempting that.

Just putting the thought out there. The last thing you'd want is the joint on the 'far' end of the clear line to leak small amounts of air in... that you would never see. Diagnostics gone afoul.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Some may call it overkill... I call it prudent. Do i want to hunt endlessly for a return leak swapping out sections for clear, only to buy a whole new return system every time out of frustration like so many do?

...or do I do the clear setup... and allow myself to be able to pinpoint problems quickly, and replace single failed component rather than all the caps and lines?

Option 2, thank you! :D
once again, the potential downside is when the lines harden, you will wind up replacing all the lines, caps and O-rings due to the fact they will not separate easily. if you are diagnosing where the bubbles are coming from, the lines at the end will tell you which bank, right or left. the moisture at the caps will tell you which one externally, and putting your hand on each line and feeling out which injector is hotter than the other will tell you which injector is getting combustion blowback. learn from my mistakes or learn them again, your choice.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW My Tygon lines are nice and pliable after several months of service with WMO...