Permanent clear lines for return setup...

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some scouring and found this stuff:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/124/=wf5g8f <---look at the very bottom of sheet for "ultra chemical resistant" type...

...and to confirm it's compatibility with diesel:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8354kac/=wf5iaa <----look at sheet 3, type 6519T....

Seems legit. The only thing that I wonder about is the 160F max temp rating. Would this be an issue for the return system? How hot do return lines get above the engine?

Also, what is the inner diameter of traditional return line? If I remember correctly, it's 1/4" ID...

A completely clear return system is a very enticing idea to me. I don't think I am the only one... Someone please nip this in the bud now if this is a bogus idea for some reason, and please explain why if it IS a bad idea....

Thanks!

*EDIT: 165F max temp rating... *

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea but the 165 degree bothers me too. But that plastic wire loom doesn't melt and thats on top of engine also. Maybe keep searching for some higher temp hose. 1/4 " id for 7.3 and 3/16" id for 6.9 IIRC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest.... I think I'm gonna just do it. I'll run her hot, and have my old lines on hand in case of failure. Also, this stuff's thinner walled than traditional return line, so outer diameter will require smaller clips to secure to caps. Hopefully this 6519T is the same O.D. as the 6.9 return line... So 6.9 clips will work on my 7.3 with this line on it.

But I don't know.... my luck usually isn't that good.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a yellow translucent tygon meant for fuel, the clear stuff is only food/lab grade. I have been using the yellow stuff for months.
USPlastic.com has it as well

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick something fep or pfa lined. It is a fluoropolymer (think Teflon variant) skin to give it chemical resistance and it's usually a pvc outer that is transparent. I don't have a link handy but it does exist and I'd be surprised if mcmaster doesn't have it.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a yellow translucent tygon meant for fuel, the clear stuff is only food/lab grade. I have been using the yellow stuff for months.
USPlastic.com has it as well

Check the second link.... 3rd sheet. 6519T is A rated for diesel. A = no effect. It's clear too...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick something fep or pfa lined. It is a fluoropolymer (think Teflon variant) skin to give it chemical resistance and it's usually a pvc outer that is transparent. I don't have a link handy but it does exist and I'd be surprised if mcmaster doesn't have it.

Order sheet says 6519T is FEP lined...

I like this. This line seems to be passing the "OB Gauntlet Test" :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a 7.3, where are you getting the 6.9 from. The 7.3 takes 3/8" for suction supply, the return is 5/16", all your fittings like FSV, tank sending, lift pump should be those sizes. The 6519T line is $5.05/ft, if you use the 5103K, it's 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD for the suction line at $2.34/ft. There is no pressure, even on the return line, so the 5103 series can be used. Quite a few guys on here said they have used the Tygon tubing, don't know what series they used tho. Measure your lines you have now to see which line thickness you have to use for the clamps. Spring clamps would be best to use, the Tygon is soft, and those clamps won't distort the line.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
You have a 7.3, where are you getting the 6.9 from. The 7.3 takes 3/8" for suction supply, the return is 5/16", all your fittings like FSV, tank sending, lift pump should be those sizes. The 6519T line is $5.05/ft, if you use the 5103K, it's 3/8" ID and 1/2" OD for the suction line at $2.34/ft. There is no pressure, even on the return line, so the 5103 series can be used. Quite a few guys on here said they have used the Tygon tubing, don't know what series they used tho. Measure your lines you have now to see which line thickness you have to use for the clamps. Spring clamps would be best to use, the Tygon is soft, and those clamps won't distort the line.

I believe he is talking about the return lines between Ip pump,fuel filter.and injectors return caps, not the lines to the fsv and tanks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe he is talking about the return lines between Ip pump,fuel filter.and injectors return caps, not the lines to the fsv and tanks

Yep...

I was under the impression that pre lift needs slight vacuum rating, and post lift needs psi rating... So i was only going to use the 6519T for post lift applications. Returns specifically. Sticking with Viton 3/8" ID for pre lift, in concert with an inline clear filter.

I'm making my system so that if she starts coughing, I can glance at the whole system and see why right away...

The one thing I was worrying about was when I mount the Carter, the frame rail seems to be the spot recommended... Which means I theoretically could use this 6519T from the frame rail all the way to the filterhead, but then I'm running 165F tolerant line past the passenger exhaust manifold. Bad juju.

I think it's going to go like this:

tanks ->----Viton--->-FTSV ->-Viton ->- clear inline filter ->-Viton ->- Carter ->-----------------------------Viton--------------------------------->- filterhead ->- 6519T for all non-hard post filterhead apps.....

So that's the idea, basically...

I know I heard somewhere that someone has used the braided clear TSC cooler line for diesel, and for years, but they also said "the guy at TSC said it was fine". Forgive me if I don't trust the TSC guy one friggin' bit. :D I know the braid helps with the vacuum rating, but I just don't think it's worth the risk if I have the viewable inline filter anyway...

Last edited:

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The mcmaster carr # for F-4040-A is 5552k..... If you look at the initial post's second link's chart, you'll find that for diesel, 5552k has a B rating, and 6519T has an A...

I know F-4040-A (5552k) is fuel line, but it's for small engine... and it doesn't speak to it's diesel tolerance. This is actually the reason I started looking for an alternative. The 6519T is FEP lined, so it gets the A rating for diesel, and has the same temp tolerances as the F-4040-A (5552k).

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt the fep lined tubing is chemical resistant enough.... I've put some pretty nasty stuff through similar stuff. There are actually companies that make FEP film to go on office building windows to make them easier to clean. We've used it to make chemical resistant polycarbonate windows. It's good stuff. My only reservation is temperature. The tygon outer is most likely vinyl and it gets really soft at temperature. The problem is that the translucent fluoropolymers are pretty rigid and not well suited for hose barbs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using the YELLOW TYGON in the Muscateer AATV since I got it Up and running. Bothe feed and return lines are tygon and itz great.

Check out the build in the Lounge for details.

I like the idea of clear return lines myself!

May want to get an IR thermometer and shoot some temp readings on the lines...

JM2CW

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I have ever worked on your truck and have done fuel system diagnostic work, there would be the clear pvc line attached to the fuel filter bleed nipple to passenger side first/front cylinder return line cap and at the pump to return line main feed. I've never had any meltdown problems with clear pvc and have had it on my main transport since 2005. i don't run from injector to injector since imho, it's overkill and the plastic hardens with age and that causes it's own set of problems.