Performance questions- 1992 with ATS Turbo

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
i have a hypermax pulse turbo on mine, 6-8psi is all i see, with new injectors and pump, my screw is not turned up alot though. As far as keeping up with a psd... not going to happen, trust me i know, i have a 97 that is ungodly quick for a 7500#truck. But the old idi is just fun to drive for me so i drive it everyday. ;Sweet

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With Kens IP and Injectors I could floor a 15PSI boost gauge. Now, take that for what it is, I blew headgaskets shortly thereafter, but with headstuds and a good set of gaskets, you should be able to run 15PSI with a good IP. His IP's are pretty sweet and really wake the trucks up. Scotty

cjguy

Reaction score
i have a hypermax pulse turbo set up that it pick up used,a cowl air,and hypermax 3.5 inch exh, and we turned the pump up ,and i see 10-11 psi with out any problem very suprized at how much power it has, i went to portland last night and keep with a new cummings at 85mph and averaged 12mpg

rocketron

Reaction score
My dad's with the stock turbo set up sees 12-14 with 26' 5th wheel trailer with egts of 1150. Haven't got a chance to install mine yet, waiting for a few parts to show up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ken's pump still gets timed at 8.5 degrees like normal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scotty's turbo was a wastegated Banks which is a totally different animal. The are known to make 15psi very easily, but that can be too much for a stock IDI. Good to hear from Mel about the timing on teh Ken's pump. Not really surprising that they are timed the same, just wasn't sure so I didn't want to say.

mainiac

Reaction score
Ryan, I've got an ATS nonwastegated on my 83 6.9.
I see 14-15 lbs floored and loaded with mowing equipment. At speed, say 60 MPH, I show about 4-5 lbs boost.
My feedpipes are 2.5", don't think it makes much difference with boost numbers, though. Turbo whine is very loud at the air filter and really big rigish at the exhaust.
I just did my head gaskets last Winter and they weren't even that bad with those pressures, either.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the original posters question though, timing is something I would definitely look at. It tends to drift towards the retarded side from wear, and a few degrees can make a big difference in performance. Indeed, I would try to have the timing checked or set as part of a 75,000 mile check up interval, which probably means there are a lot of guys reading this who could use a trip to the timing meter.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone! I was out of town for the weekend, and was really excited to come home to a thread full of information.

Mel, I'll definitely start with the timing settings, before I start throwing new parts at it. My intention is not to outrun, or even keep up with a CTD or PSD. I know the limits of the old IDI's, and just want to make sure I'm getting the full potential out of mine.

Theres no noticable clatter or anything that makes me think the timing is way off, but a degree or two sure makes a difference on my other cars, so I assume the same is true of the IDI.

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online