Parts to salvage from 89 parts truck for my 86.

johnnolanstrtgld

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my first post, but I've been reading for some time now. Hopefully this isn't off topic. Thanks for putting so much great into about my truck in one place. Really cool. I think I've got a question that hasn't already been asked, or I wasn't able to find the answer and I've got another that should probably be no-brainer, but I can't figure it out.

The more interesting one first, as I am really posting to get a response to this.
I have an 1986 6.9 F350 4x4 with 4 speed manual (and another with c6 auto) and I'm going to do ZF swap. I've got an 1989 7.3 F250 4x4 with ZF5. My question(s) are:
Aside from the (complete engine, trans, cross member, and mounts - what else should I take off the donor truck that I can use on my 86? Doors? Glass? ABS rear axle? Fuel senders? What can I use?

I know I won't use the hood, fenders grill, and whatever else I can't use or remove. Bed and tailgate are hammered. Is anyone interested in what's left over? I would give anything I can to a good home over scrapping. I'm in Grass Valley Ca.

The second question: How do edit my signature and add a picture of my truck so it shows up on the side bar if I post?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I could use a cab replace my crunched 1987 F350. Not sure doors will swap, but they might. Sending units are different ohm ratings (almost opposite of the 80-86 trucks). Door glass is the same, windshields are same enough to use, but the VIN is in a different place from slant to brick.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped mine over to diesel I bought an 89 parts truck for the engine/trans.
Off the top of my head.....
Parts from the 89 I used:
Steering column / wheel
Front seat
Door panels
Rear window
Side windows in the doors
Wing windows assemblies are slightly different but will work
Doors should interchange

Trans hump cover (where the shifter goes through the cab floor) is different than the older T-19 version, but only because of the transfer case shifter. T19 it went through the hump cover: ZF5 it went through a hole in the floor right next to it.
Hack a hole in the floor, and the newer shifter will work.

Fuel tanks physically interchange, BUT.....
Mine had a different size opening on the top of the tanks where the pickup/sender bolt it - but gas and diesel tanks may be different?
I used the newer tanks, but also left the newer pickups/senders in them.
The 80-86 senders have a totally different resistance than the 87-97 senders. It would make your fuel gage read WAY off and backwards (don’t ask why I know that).

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the whole truck. You may not need it now but you will once you get hooked on the idi addiction. I just brought home our 12th 7.3 home today, ask me how I know haha

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel tanks physically interchange, BUT.....
Mine had a different size opening on the top of the tanks where the pickup/sender bolt it - but gas and diesel tanks may be different?
I used the newer tanks, but also left the newer pickups/senders in them.
The 80-86 senders have a totally different resistance than the 87-97 senders. It would make your fuel gage read WAY off and backwards (don’t ask why I know that).

When Ford went to fuel injection in 1985, and also start using in tank fuel pumps on the 460 equipped trucks, they made the hole bigger in the fuel tanks. And they decided to do this across the whole lineup, even if the truck still had a carb with mechanical pump(351w, 300 six) or was diesel(mechanical pump).

johnnolanstrtgld

Reaction score
LOL. 12 trucks... My wife would kill me. I know what you mean though. After the first one, I was hooked. The wife said I can only have 3 :( so I gotta get the parts I need, and then I have room for one more.

Can I use the floats on the new senders to fix the ones on my truck (interchangeable)? Otherwise I'm thinking power steering box, doors, glass, maybe tie rods, rear axle (for the anti-lock brakes) if I can use it, brake drums and maybe the front rotors if 86 F350 and 89 F250 are the same (haven't checked yet). Glow plug controller maybe starter solenoid, battery cables. I"ll get the trans hump cover, and not sure what else.

I'm a long way from Pasadena to get the cab, but so long as I can get rid of the rest of the truck without the title, you can have it.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Spindles are the same between trucks as long as they are the same/similar axle (if you're not sure, post up or PM me).

If going with the Brick ABS, you'll also need the ABS brake unit on the frame rail (and to plumb it the same way) as well as all the harnesses and the ABS controller in the dash.

For editing your signature, go to your profile (click on your screen name in upper right hand corner) and you'll see an option to edit it in the left.

And welcome to the OB!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're obtaining the whole donor truck, and junking it after the swap, there are lots of things you should pull off it and sell just as a "community service", to make parts available to other bricknose-era users that are getting hard to find. +1 above, the fuel senders are not compatible, but they're also very expensive, and you'd save a fellow IDI-er some serious coin selling yours to them. Taillight lenses, headlight frames, etc. Stuff like that.

The fuel selector valve MIGHT be interchangeable between them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would forget the ABS thing (RABS). It doesn't work that well on the later trucks that have it.

Edit; I should re-word that and say when it works, it probably worked ok, but it is very difficult to keep it going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online

Members online