paint job help

Babe

Reaction score
hey guys wondering if anyone has done there own paint job with tractor paint. please post some pics if u have thanks

Powerstrokin350

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same thing on e a buddy of mine told me I could get it at napa auto parts when I was talking of painting my gooseneck stock trailer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coyote_red should pipe up. He did his truck in the TSC paint. Check his build thread.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably guess what my farm truck is going to get.

Heck it'll be lucky if it gets a paint gun and not the brush

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done it, it works and looks good. But that was with the paint that TSC used to carry. They now carry a different brand of paint and I have read on the internet that it's not as good as the older paint they carried(I believe it was Valspar, now it's some sort of "Majic" paint).

This is not a new idea, you can find lots of people use this paint for this purpose. If you use it on a vehicle, you will find it will start fading after about a year being out in the weather. I never did buff my paint job out, but I believe you could after about a year and bring it back. It's very easy to paint with depending on what you use to thin it with. I used very slow drying paint thinner. If you use something stronger that dries faster, you will avoid bugs and dirt better, but overspray can become a problem. For instance, if you are spraying the hood and do one half at a time, if the paint dries very fast, you can get overspray on the first half while doing the second half. If you get a slower drying thinner, the overspray will melt right in to the previously done half.

They say the newer paint runs easily and does not cover as well. But I have not personally tried it yet.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ever done a WWII ship camo paint job????

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll fade... But here's my tractor that I painted.

You must be registered for see images attach

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try your local Sherman Williams paint store and ask them about a product they carry called DTM ... Direct To Metal. It's a paint formulated for things like heavy equipment, water tanks, things that work hard and live outside. It's a "mix to your desired color" and starts as a white base they add color to make it about any color you want.

It can be sprayed with an airless sprayer if you use a nozzle sized for the paint viscosity, which means you don't need the HVLP / air compressor situation. It goes on nice, lays down good, covers well, and "ain't to expensive".

Sherman Williams dealer can make it gloss, flat, semi flat, what ever you desire for finish.. The gloss finish is actually pretty nice. If you have never painted a vehicle with an airless and this paint... get an old fender from the pick and pull and "practice" to get the pass speed and distance right so you float on the right amount of paint. Just a little practice and you can do a full coat on a truck in just a few minutes. Cover the paint and drop the sprayer in a cup of paint thinner to keep the nozzle from clogging up while you wait for the paint to tack up for second coat. Clear the gun by a couple of blasts and add paint a coat at a time till you get what you want..

The Airless paint sellers will have or get you the smaller orifice nozzle to match the viscosity of this paint. Spray pattern and volume will be very close to the HVLP air suction sprayer.. without the hassle of having the air compressor run out of air about 1/3 of the way through a coat.

Also recommend you use new spray hose from the paint pump to had nozzle and a clean new pickup hose so you don't blow chunks of old house paint through the pump and mess up the nice paint job..

I'm spoiled not that I've used the airless.. Just painted an airplane with it.. [automotive paint on that one, different nozzle again] came out excellent..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online