Overheating transmission

jlwoods99

Reaction score
My gauge on my E40D starts at 140 and top is 320. When I start the truck it slowly warms up but pegs the needle out to the 320 or awfully close. I'm not pulling a load just heading to town. I pulled the dipstick and touched it, its only warm. So with that being said. My gauge, says RW products, Never heard of them. Would it be gauge or the probe in the tranny. And if the probe can I just buy that. What do ya'll suggest.

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buy a better gauge... Yours is bad. To test it remove it and the sender. Suspend in iwarm water and heat up to boiling. Watch the gauge. Have a candy thremometer so you know when the temp reaches 180, 200 and 240 degrees if you try to heat up the water that far. Using some sugar in the water will make it hotter than 212 degrees. Or heat up some cooking oil.:sly

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll have to agree with Gary. Your gauge, wire, or sender is bad. Maybe all three. Follow Gary's procedure.

If your transmission fluid really reached 320° you'd never have made it to town.:eek: My suggestion would be to replace the entire setup. Get quality equipment. The peace of mind is a wonderful feeling.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For peace of mind you can check accuracy to a certain extent by hitting the pan with an infrared remote thermometer. They are really accurate, the trick is hitting the right spot for acquiring the temp.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a B&M trans guage, if my light ground is not connected, it will go to max reading. Check your grounds.