Overheating issues while plow is attached

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
you must have bypassed the radiator trans cooler/warmer and ran only the devoted air cooler?

Yes I ran straight to the external cooler. My mistake. Cost me dearly. although I still needed the external cooler the radiator cooler might have saved me. It was a super wet heavy snow 1st pass 3ft deep. A good ole noreaster! I started plowing in 1969 w/a cj jeep -then got a couple more with chevy v8s-next went to 1/ ton chevys & in 1994 bought my first ever Ford truck a 1984 F250 diselw/a C6. I had 1 Case 300 tractor ,sander,4 chevys & the Ford then. funny I drove the ford after that and everyone else drove the Chevys.The winter of 1994 grossed $44000 as a part time business.
The ford actually gave me less trouble with the plow up then the chebys did. I think that was the only time I had a temp issue with the ford - the chebys had to be monitered closly.
By the way where in ME are you. i used to pedal freight in ME daily,right up the seacoast then toMonmouth jay etc. often Bangor late in the evening then back to Nashua NH.Usually 500 miles -average of 18 stops a day.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I ran straight to the external cooler. My mistake. Cost me dearly. although I still needed the external cooler the radiator cooler might have saved me. It was a super wet heavy snow 1st pass 3ft deep.
The ford actually gave me less trouble with the plow up then the chebys did. I think that was the only time I had a temp issue with the ford - the chebys had to be monitered closly.

ok.was just checking to see if you understood where you may have went wrong that's all.seems you learned and wont bypass that again.;Sweet

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience with plows on diesel trucks, if you're having overheating issues, you have a dead fan clutch. If you run the plow full up, it will warm up faster and the fan clutch will be engaged more, but, you shouldn't be overheating. I've only had experience with 2 straight blade idi plow trucks, and neither one of them ever had heating issues, no matter the plow height.
My dodge, I put my plow in V and raise it to the stops so it doesn't bounce and just go, never had a lick of trouble, not even the many times I've done 60-80 highway miles at 65mph with it.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
ok.was just checking to see if you understood where you may have went wrong that's all.seems you learned and wont bypass that again.;Sweet

Your right except I like the way my truck cooled when I was over the road with it I did bypass the radiator (but it never plowed nor could have 2WD).
I really believe it is hard to over cool a trans used for heavy towing.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Been working Mater hard the last 3 winters with a 7'6" Western plow without any overheat issues.
With a good working fan clutch and a radiator that isn't getting plugged up with solder bloom, you shouldn't have an overheat condition. After seeing first hand what a pinned fan clutch can do, I'm against pinning the clutch. When these motors shut down with the high compression they run, the chances of the fan and clutch spinning off on shutdown are greatly increased and that can lead to scrapping out a radiator real quick.

rthomas

Reaction score
Sounds like your f/c is dead or on its way out, you can pull the small spring out of nose of it and it should give you whatever lockup it has left, this might get you by until you can get a new one. I used to plow with my 86 and never had a temp issue, I did have a lot of charging problems though.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been working Mater hard the last 3 winters with a 7'6" Western plow without any overheat issues.
With a good working fan clutch and a radiator that isn't getting plugged up with solder bloom, you shouldn't have an overheat condition. After seeing first hand what a pinned fan clutch can do, I'm against pinning the clutch. When these motors shut down with the high compression they run, the chances of the fan and clutch spinning off on shutdown are greatly increased and that can lead to scrapping out a radiator real quick.

I agree completely the fan clutch is much better than a locked fan. I had a f150 that was having some cooling issues one year when it was real hot so I bought a spacer and fan blade and it cooled really good but when I had it out in the timber the fan blade started flying off piece by piece. The spacer that they sold made you use a aftermarket fan blade instead of the heavy factory one so it was razor sharp and was alot easier to break. Mine flung a piece off once and sliced the radiator hose enough to leak. Imagine if you was looking at the engine running when that happened!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan clutch and even the glowplug controller are great when they work. After you buy several fan clutches at $140 each, all of them failing, you get tired of spending all that money and try to find something that works. I built brackets to lock my fan in place to the pulley bolts, so it won't unscrew, and I had a piece of OSB board covering half of my radiator the other day when I was plowing with no overheating. Here's my brackets.

You must be registered for see images attach

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they cost 140 each and they keep failing I would just go to the junkyard and buy one because I have never had any problems out of mine and I am sure its original.

maximus88

Reaction score
its true.you can't get enough airflow to the engine,gowing down the road.i tried angling the plow,lowering it down low.
nothing helped.
she needs a working fan.
im going this route:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17484

My only concern with that is the electrical system already has a lot of strain with the plow.

I think my alternator is only like 60 or 70 amps. I think a PSD has a lot bigger alternator than my 88.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan will probably rarely run so its really not that big of a drain. I got kinda burned out on electric fans after I spent about 400 on some kinda monster flexalite fan on ebay a few years ago and all it did was fall apart. I had cheap allen set screws and the blade would fall off and then got where I could tighten or loosen it. I suspect though like some people on here using factory electric fans the quality is alot higher. Just kind burns me that I spent so much. The controller that came with it also quit working. I will probably do that electric fan mod down the road but using taurus fans or something. I like the way that is all molded into the factory shroud so you can just bolt it in when your done and make it look all factory.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern with that is the electrical system already has a lot of strain with the plow.

I think my alternator is only like 60 or 70 amps. I think a PSD has a lot bigger alternator than my 88.

search for:
3g alternator upgrade.

1993+ trucks have the 130a 3g stock.
(it's been said,there may be some '92's mid year with them.if your '92 has a serp belt.you have the 3g.otherwise search for the mod.)

The electric fan will probably rarely run so its really not that big of a drain. I got kinda burned out on electric fans after I spent about 400 on some kinda monster flexalite fan on ebay a few years ago and all it did was fall apart. I had cheap allen set screws and the blade would fall off and then got where I could tighten or loosen it. I suspect though like some people on here using factory electric fans the quality is alot higher. Just kind burns me that I spent so much. The controller that came with it also quit working. I will probably do that electric fan mod down the road but using taurus fans or something. I like the way that is all molded into the factory shroud so you can just bolt it in when your done and make it look all factory.

this has been beat to death through my searches as well.
they won't hold up.stick with the OEM ford e-fans from 3.8l cars/vans.
for the controller iv also discovered them to be problematic.
google:
Delta electric fan controls.

i scored the windstar fan and the DC controller for less $ than autozone wants for the stock clutch.;Really

on another note.
i have found the small fan pushes just about the same as the big fan in that windstar assembly.so im not doing the "dual large" fan mod he did in that article.

using this variable speed controller,im predicting based on my temps,to only use approx half this speeds fan at most.i'll know shorty.with the Holiday and everything,i wont get anything shipped out until like monday.and the DC controls claimed 10 day backup on their site too.so it will be a couple weeks.
when i need to plow again,all i need to do is slow right down to 20 mph or just pull over and she drops.so i'll just be careful and watch my temp gauge (a real one.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online