Overhead Adjustment Intervals

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
Any one know what the reccomened adjustment interval is for the overhead/valves on the B5.9's? Also have often should the timing be set as well?
Thanks
Chris

Whit

Reaction score
30k works best on an overhead............010 on intake and .020 on exhaust

dont worry bout the timing unless the truck started running crappy

turboman1

Reaction score
Any one know what the reccomened adjustment interval is for the overhead/valves on the B5.9's? Also have often should the timing be set as well?
Thanks
Chris

Agreed... anywhere between 25K to 30K is the adjustment

As for the timing I would recommend bumping it some. This will net you better fuel milage and a little more performance.

Adam

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
define bumping he timing, i am getting decent mileage but douloesn't seem like the power is quite there like it should be after towing a pop up camper trailer up the alcan, begining of the trip the truck felt great but about half way through it seemed like the trailer weigth doubled power wise but my fuel mileage was excellent. Been 25k since overhead adjustment and i have never had the timing set since i have owned the truck (30k) but seems to right fine other than not having the ummpf it should when you get into it

mackiexj

Modern Day Drifter
Reaction score
I know for sure it wasn't the altitude, lived at 7700 in colorado, 11,000ft pass driven regularly good power but i notice less/no smoke at lower altitudes but slightly more power, the highest point on the alcan (alaskacandian highway) is 4000, most is between 1000 and 3000 or so i am at about 80 feet right now in ak (i can see the ocean), drives fine but when you get on the throttle i know i doesn't have the kick it should have, seems less than when i lived in co, other maintainence is up to date, fuel filter replaced 3500 ago, pre filter screen cleaned 10000 ago, fuel pump replaced due to leak 20000 ago and overflow valve on IP replaced 10000 ago, overhead adjusted 26000 ago only thing i haven't done is have the timing set. The only other sympton i notice is when crusing (not sure that someone unfamilar with the truck would notice) is slightly more engine vibration/vibration is not quite as smooth, who knows though could be nothing as well, on top of all that anyone know any shops in the achorage and kenai area