Ooops

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I was idling my truck for about 40 minutes just to let her run for a bit before I remembered I didn't have the fan on. :eek::eek::eek: She's pretty darn hot, but I think (read: hope) everything's alright. In other news, I do have a question regarding push starting my truck. It's the 87 with a dual mass flywheel. It just makes a terrible racket when in gear, rolling, and engine off. It doesn't turn over attempting a rolling start. What's the deal here? Weak clutch?

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding diesels don't heat much resting at idle... but don't take my word for it.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I did any damage, but I'm still at a loss for why it won't push start. Anyone?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck will idle forever without a fan in it.

Just wondering: why are you bump starting your truck?

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The higher the gear the easier the motor will turn over. If third wont do the trick go to fourth. I have roll started mine in fourth and fifth. I have to roll start my tractor in fifth or the tires slide!

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Jbevs - where do you live in Illinois? I am pretty close to the aurora/naperville area

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Well, what was going on was when I first bought the truck the metering valve was sticking causing the truck to die when shifting gears. The starter switch is kind of iffy, but it would not fire in any gear even while rolling. It seemed like it was turning over, it just wouldn't fire. Push starting is not a regular thing for me, but I was looking for an answer as to why it wouldn't start, though it was making a terrible racket. I thought maybe the clutch was on it's way out, but it drives just fine. It doesn't often die now with some dieselkleen in the tank too.