Ongoing Headgasket saga, more questions no answers...

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's still wierd that the gaskets wouldn't absorb the precups. How far were they out?

some were as much as .007, and the others were anywhere from .0035. All were over the max .0025.

Put the heads on today. Passenger side went perfect done right up nice. I did the torqueing in steps,cross sequence snug, then 30,50,70,80, and then line sequence to 85 4 times to be sure.

Drivers side was going fine, got up to 80ft lbs, did #1,#2, and then on #3, it felt just like that sickening feeling when a bolt is just about to twist off. Seemed to be getting looser, not tighter!! Oh crap. So, I had a coffee, thought about it a bit, and decided, that a bolt snapped off inside would be disaster, and impossible to recover, so I undid it, and it came out easy, and the stud looks fine, but for some weird reason, the nut threads have stripped. :confused: -cuss :puke:

Could only happen to me. So, I've put in a stock head bolt in that hole, torqued it to 80, just so there's some clamping force there, and put the tools all away.

I guess I'll be giving ARP a call monday morning...I'm not gonna go any further till I get another stud in there.

(Sigh)Crap!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Damn Zigg, seems Geo must have scared murphy up your way...never seen such a nice guy have so many problems!!!

You did the right thing, you know you wouldn't have been able to sleep at night otherwise!

Keep after it, when that thing fires and doesn't have a problem, it will all be worth it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bites Zigg. At least you have a feel for that sort of thing. You have no idea how many people I know wouldn't have felt the threads let go and would have kept cranking on it.

One question though, has your torque wrench been checked.....can't remember if you have or not.

Damn Zigg, seems Geo must have scared murphy up your way...never seen such a nice guy have so many problems!!!

You did the right thing, you know you wouldn't have been able to sleep at night otherwise!

Keep after it, when that thing fires and doesn't have a problem, it will all be worth it.

Naw, Murphy just left my house cause I'm taking a break on the ZF tranny rebuild right now after he made sure I was pretty skewered and pennyless:oops: :sorry:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online