one wire hook up??7.3 IDI

quinnbrian

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've seen a couple of utube videos that show an IDI running...in a frame by itself..no tranny...body...wiring etc. They hooked up one wire to the start solenoid on the pump??? and ran the batteries to the starter and crossed the starter.
My question...what wire do I need to put power to at the pump/starter solenoid , to open the pump, to started. I have a 1994 motor and would like to started it before I do anymore planing on this project.I'm looking for what wire...maybe the color...or maybe a drawing???
Thanks for looking, and any help would be great.
Cheers
Brian

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need power to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump. That's it other than the starter.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like red/lite green into a fusible link and dk blue on the pump but I can't confirm that I'm not near the engine. Google it and look at images. I found wire diagrams that way. Also may depend on year of truck.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the engine has a ground (Battery Neg} just run a wire from battery POS + to the IP, FSS connection would be towards the radiator. you would have to pull that wire off to stop the engine. If your using jumper cables, hook the POSto the large terminal on the starter, then a small wire from there to the starter solenoid, to start it. If you need the glow plugs jump POS wire to the GP relay, the side that goes to the glow plugs for 10-15 seconds, then start

Attachments

• 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 68

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The only wire really needed on top of the injection pump is the connector that has the wide spade connection on it and this is the connector closest to the radiator. The wire connector on the farthest back connector is a small spade connector. These were made this way so you did not mix them up. So far only one member here did in fact mix them but I do not know how because of the large and small spades. What would happen then is the engine would run when cold but as soon as the coolant temp reached 120 degrees the power was shut off to the fuel shutoff valve. This was because he had placed the wrong wire on it. That back connector is the cold advance and the fast idle solenoid power. It stops feeding power to both of those wires at 120 degrees coolant. The sender is located behind the thermostat housing and hard as hell to reach for replacement.