? On electric brakes

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 28' 2 axle 5er, going to try another search here. But...
Went thru the bearings and drums before I drug it home now looking at hydro boost, besides the obvious stuf(good pins/springs/ wires, ect.) are there any upgrades/tricks to get more stopping power from these things?
Thanx in advance
Cb

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Electric over hydraulic with disk brakes is about all you got beyond making sure your brakes are in top shape.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Yep just don't look at the price tag and keep in mind not all brake controllers can handle them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brake controller do you have? Check your voltage at the 7-way, with full controller output you should have battery voltage or real close, then check voltage at one of the trailer wheels, shouldn't have more than 1-1/2 volt drop from the 7-way reading. Corroded 7-way contacts won't carry the current, resulting in poor trailer braking.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running one of the old hydraulic units, thanx I will be going thru thru the whole system to make sure its working up to capacity, right now it sees flatlander duty out to the coast an back.
Stops well , just checking to see if I can get some more juice to pull doubles for hunting season next year.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Do both axles have brakes?What condition are they in?

Ive had electric brakes (both axles) on 14K equipment trailers work very well.

Sometimes its a better deal to replace the whole bake assy rather than buying shoes and such for them.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 drums, newer shoes, for now it stops well e'nuff.
The tag brake setup is close to a grand so new elect. Will be cheap in comparison.
This may be my chosen route along with a tag on brake in the crawler this way I get 12 wheel brakes

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lions share of the problem was 2 things,,, #1 the **** poor 88 brake system/hyd. brake controler and #2 the fact that one of the transfer wires on the trailer axle was broken/open so I only had 1 set of trailer brakes!
fix the wires and add in a truck that will lock em up now,,, all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online