superduty brakes

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
So I have a 1994 F-53 chassis motorhome with 40,000 miles. It has the same brake setup as an OBS f-450. Hydro boost 4 wheel disk. In fact the calipers and pads I know are the same part number as a f 450, both front and rear uses the same calipers and pads.
We put new NAPA pads on it and 2 of the calipers hung up, after installing new pads. Im guessing because they have been all they way out then we pushed them in they hung up. So we replaced all 4 of them with Advanced auto calipers because of time constraints and they were the only place that had them. I sucked all of the fluid out of the master cylynder filled with new fluid bled all of the old calipers until i got new fluid coming out. Then we changed one caliper at a time starting with right rear, left rear, right front, left front. We bleed each one as we went, then did all 4 again.
Brakes stop but not great. They are not hanging up anymore. There are no places around here that cut rotors anymore so we scuffed then with sandpaper which I know isn't ideal but they were fairly smooth and I did not want to replace OEM rotors that have never been cut and are still good with Chinese junk.

So my question is could their be a problem with the hydro boost or master cylnder or both? Pedal is firm so I don't believe it's an air issue. Is there anyone who makes upgrade calipers or better pads?
I know a lot of you on here have vast experience with the hydro boost systems that why I posted here. Thanks in advance.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get the premium expensive pads? I have had trouble sometimes with them, they seem to be a little harder than the cheaper ones and don't stop as well as the softer cheaper ones do. And I have also had problems with the cheaper pads, with hard spots in them and chunks of brass looking stuff in them that keep them from wearing correctly.

If you have a high firm pedal, I would suspect something wrong with the new pads. If the calipers are not leaking, they should be ok. Your motorhome stopped fine when it was designed new. It should stop fine now, and not need any upgrades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7